What's new

Joining the SVS Club (1 Viewer)

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I pulled the trigger on a PC+ 20/39 this morning. It should arrive sometime next week. Any tips/trick for setting the unit up?

My associated equipment:
Rotel RSP-1066 Pre/Pro
Rotel RMB-1075 Power Amp
Rega Planet 2000 CD Player
Denon DVD-2900 Universal Player
Paradigm Reference Studio 100v3
Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470v3
Paradigm Reference Studio 20v3

I've got my trusty RS analog sound level meter as well as Stereophile's Test CD's Vol. 1-3, DVE, and Rives Audio's Test CD (w/RS level meter corrections).

My room is approx. 13'W x 15'L x 8'H. My current sub (Velodyne CT-120) is located in the front right corner. The system is along the 13' wall.

Bill

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Bill,

You sound like a guy who has it all in order. If you keep your new sub (I think you will) please give us your take on it and how it compares to your previous sub.

Welcome to the club and Congrads.

PS From your room size description your in for a real treat.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it arrived today! The UPS guy either got an idea of what it was or knew what it was as he said "bet you couldn't wait for this" then "you'll be rockin' now."

The thing is much bigger than I imagined, even seeing pictures and knowing the dimensions. It's finished quite nicely IMO and was packaged great.

I've got it set up in the same location as my Velodyne CT-120, the front right corner, plugged into it's own outlet. I've got the x-over bypassed and set to 60Hz in my pre/pro. I calibrated it's level using the pre/pro's built-in pink noise, dialing it in on the sub and leaving the pre/pro set to a reference 0. I nudged it up 3dB for both Dolby Digital and DTS, left it at 0 for everything else.

I ran a frequency sweep using my RS Sound Level Meter and Rives Audio Test CD2 (has built in correction for RS meter). The bass response was exceptionally smooth until I hit 50Hz where it fell from the reference of 80dB down to 72dB. The rest of the bass region (20Hz-200Hz) was +/-3dB. I then began experimenting with the phase control which had been set to zero. I put the track on repeat and moved the phase up notch by notch until I ended up at 80dB at that frequency. That took it up 6 notches from zero and only effected the other frequencies slightly.

I demoed some stuff real quick:

LOTR: Fellowship's opening scene
Finding Nemo: Whale and Darla
Massive Attack's Mezzanine: Track 1

The sub definitely extends a lot lower than I'm used to. There's much more tactile bass than with the Velodyne as well.

I'll save any more until I have time to really sit down and put it through it's paces. I'm very happy with what I've heard so far.

Bill

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator

I am still a bit new with HT.

1. What is reference level?
2. I couldn't find LFE channel level setting in my Yamaha RXV-1400. Anyone please?
3. Bass limiters, I also cannot find it in my receiver. Anyone please?
4. And so with dynamic range control, I also couldn't find it. I did find Dynamic Range but it says in the manual that it will only work when Night is selected.
5. DVD player's bitstream. I don't know if my Sony NS400 model supports this. Anyone again? :)

Thanks guys!

Ronneil

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

All DVD players support bitstream output. This is in the player setup menu under audio. It simply enables DD output. Usually it is the same menu that enables DTS.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Ronneil,

Everything that was listed won't pertain to everyone's gear, more of a general statement of things to look out for. I'm not familiar with either of your pieces, that's up to you to get familiar with.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks