Joined the SVS owners club

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Orin Dym, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

Just received my SVS CS Ultra today. After unpacking it, my youngest doughter (5) confiscated the box to use as a castle--she fits nicely in the box.

I have had a Velodyne 18" sub, and some DIY subs in the past, and had been running without a subwoofer for some time now since my main speakers (DIY) can handle a lot of bass. The decision to get a separate sub came about from a change in equipment. I am using Audio Refinement Amplifiers, an Audio Refinement Pre-5 preamp, and a Sony DVPNS900ES that I use the built in decoder. Since the LFE contribution is not adjustable, and I found the overall effect lacking, it was time for a sub.

I found this forum helpfull in introducing me to SVS and felt secure in the decision to buy one--I am not dissapointed. This is a very serious, capable sub. On the opening of Toy Story 2 I was convinced that I could cause structural damage to the house.

As for the physical size of the sub, it actually looks small next to my main speakers.

I am looking foward to playing many movies this weekend.

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Congrats!! Shake those pictures off the walls!!

But i have to ask - if you had already made DIY speakers, a DIY sub would have been easy for you - why not?

Congrats again! Which package did you get?

3. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

Thought long and hard about a DIY sub, and I decided that considering cost and time, I was probably not going to outdo the SVS ultra. Work has been very hectic of late with no sign of slowing down, so DIY projects are very costly in the time department.

4. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

I received my cs+20-39 samson 1000 combo yesterday and so far I am not experiencing that foundation shaking bass yet. I think I will try moving from in the back corner to the front corner. Or maybe the phase is off. Not sure but it just didn't seem all there last night. Any Ideas?

Matt

5. Rey_Ramos

Rey_Ramos Agent

Just got my Ultra yesterday. Couldn't really calibrate everything properly because I don't have Avia yet. Just used the internal test tones but I am highly impressed. I had the HGS 18, that is/was a great sub. The Ultra just feels different though. Powerful doesn't describe the experience. Once I have it calibrated properly I'll make a more thorough statement on it. Hope the blending between speakers to sub is better once calibrated.