Johns Manville R11 Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Jun 30, 1997
    Just to let you guys know, I did search this forum for some info before posting.

I'm planning a HT for our finished basement. The room has old paper/cardboard 12"-square ceiling tiles. Above that is about 6" of space and the bottom of the hardwood floor above.

As it stands now, I have 2 main problems I need to address:

(1) Any loud sound can be heard in upstairs bedrooms, even a lowly boom box!

(2) Bass from the subs. I realize this is much more difficult to deal with due to traveling vibrations.

For now, I'd like to deal with problem #1, dealing with loud volumes (100hz and higher) and ref peaks of 105db.

I went to Home Depot last night and found the R11 stuff. It's the only one (I think) that was labeled for its "sound" properties. Common sense dictates that since this R11 is only 3.5" thick, the thicker stuff should be better for absorbing/blocking the sound? But the thicker stuff doesn't mention sound.

* Why should I use the R11 at only 3.5"? Is it denser than the others?

* The R(#>11) stuff is thicker. How is it for sound?

* Maybe 2 layers of R11 or one layer of the R Thicker stuff? Squishing it in there shouldn't be too hard.

Rich B.
  2. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

Dec 18, 2001
    The insulation by itself will only do so much. I would also suggest framing the ceiling with resilient channels and sheetrock. You should also seal all cracks, corners, edges, etc. with acoustic sealant. There's a whole science to sound control that gets way more complicated than most people care to deal with.
    There's some good info at USG about sound control construction.
  3. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Dec 28, 2000
    I'm finishing my room the same way you need.I had a finished ceiling in my basement,but the noise from my SVS was way to loud upstairs with a baby on the way.I framed a new ceiling 1" below the old one and filled it with 5 1/2" sound barrier insulation from Home Depot.It says right on the display & the bag that it is for soundproofing.I then covered it with 1/2" gyproc.I'm at this stage right now,and looking for ceiling panels to finish it off.The key to this is the 1" gap,the sound waves have nothing to travel thru and will disapate in the gap.I'm expecting at least a 50% reduction in sound levels upstairs.Hope this helps.