Johnny Marr & The Healers: Boomslang

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay, so i gotta admit that i was pretty hesitant when i first heard about this. i mean, most people know johnny marr from his partnership with the smiths and possibly electronic and the the, but that's about it.

seems like a poser from the 80's trying to do his own thing right? i also admit if i didn't get to audition this first, i would never have given it a chance.

but i'm glad i did. i really like this album.

it's kind of hard to describe. maybe nin light or what garbage would sound like if he was the frontman instead of shirley manson (i think that's her name?).

it's got some definite electronic undertones, but it still stands out as a rock album. there's no excessive yelling and (for the most part) the singing is upfront but understandable.

there are several standout tracks including "the last ride", "down on the corner", "need it", and "bangin' on".

i highly recommend you at least give the album a chance. if you like the genre, this will be hard to pass up.

i give it a solid "B".

official website at www.jmarr.com - includes a couple of songs you can download.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ted- Maybe you can help. If a person is a really big Smiths' fan, would this be something to try?

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi kevin -

i'm a pretty big smith's fan too, but off the top of my head i would say no - this stuff really doesn't sound anything like the smiths.

this is more "rock-n-rollish".

i'd say this is more similar to garbage or third eye blind or that rob thomas group (can't believe i can't remember the name of that dang band....must be monday)!

even johnny's guitar sounds "different" - for example it's nothing like 'how soon is now'. but definitely check it out if you can. as a big smith's fan you may be glad to hear how he's progressed.

4. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I've heard its fairly bad and I am an avid Marr follower.

I mean, I was one of the 10 people who actually liked the last Electronic album....Twisted Tenderness.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

6. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

The Healers played in SF last week ?

aww well...I seemed to miss him/Smiths/the the every other time they ever played out here.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Here's a question: rock n' roll-ish is OK, but more "upbeat" (and happy [​IMG]), or still with the undercurrent of sadness and depression that the Smiths mastered...

Johnny Marr with The The, didn't last long enough for me... [​IMG]

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...

i'll take upbeat and happy for 200.

did you check out their website? there's a couple of songs you can download. they're pretty indicative of the overall vibe of the album.

9. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I feel lucky to have seen The Smiths on their last tour... Marr is an incredible guitarist. I haven't heard the new album but I look forward to it... The Smiths rocked.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

definitely check out the samples on the website kevin. as a marr fan i think you'll dig it.

btw alex - i just realized you're in lodi...heck you're right down the freeway from me! i'm in roseville...