Johnny Handsome on 10/22

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Oct 19, 2002.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The good news: Coming to DVD on 10/22 is Walter Hill's 1989 film Johnny Handsome. It's a neat little action flick starring Mickey Rourke as a disfigured ex-con who is given a facelift in an attempt to get him to change his ways. Check out the rest of the cast: Elizabeth McGovern, Ellen Barkin, Forest Whitaker, Lance Henriksen, Scott Wilson, Morgan Freeman.
    The bad news: It's an Artisan release. Hey, they screwed up Extreme Prejudice. [​IMG]
    Edit: I checked Amazon and DVDPlanet and no real specs were given. With a low MSRP, I think they're treating this as they did Extreme Prejudice - that means it'll probably be a non-OAR release. Double [​IMG]

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

The advance specs I read on this said 1.85:1 (from the Laser's Edge mailing list), but I'm not believing it until I see the packaging. Thank God I have the WS laserdiscs of both this and Extreme Prejudice.

Artisan is staggering in its cluelessness.

3. Mark Cappelletty

So does anyone know what the aspect ratio is on this disc? It's due out tomorrow.

4. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Stunt Coordinator

I received my copy today and on the back it clearly states "full frame version". Various on-line seller have listed it as 1.85, but this is not the case. A check with the IMDB states its OAR was 1.85:1. Artisan does it again! Guess I'll be sending this one back.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I guess I'll cancel my order for this and get the region 2 release which is Anamorphic Wide Screen.

6. Mark Cappelletty

Jesus Christ. Another pre-Artisan LIVE laserdisc I'm holding onto (the list now includes Extreme Prejudice and Mountains of the Moon).

I know someone who works with Walter Hill; I'm curious what his reaction to this will be. Thanks for the input, Brad.

7. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Dammit, Artisan used to do GOOD OAR transfers (their "Earth Girls Are Easy" transfer was stunning AND OAR to boot). Now, they just toss them out there with no care at all. I saw a copy of "Maid To Order", the 1987 Ally Sheedy comedy, and I was heartened when I saw a widescreen example on the package, thinking it would come with an OAR widescreen transfer.

Eh, wrong, try again, dumbass...it was pan-and-scan non-OAR. Needless to say "NO OAR, NO SALE".

If they screw up "Pass The Ammo", I'm going to be furious.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

OAR FOR ALL MOVIES, and show Walter Hill some respect, Artisan. The man is one of the best moviemakers out there.