Johnny Got His Gun - Will we ever see this on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Peterson, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Like many other people, my first exposure to this movie was through the Metallica video for "One". I hunted down the movie on VHS several years later and thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and later read the Dalton Trumbo novel on which it was based.

My Metallica fascination has long since faded due to many things, but I don't want to sidetrack this thread. However, I still want to see the movie again, as I consider it a minor masterpiece with excellent acting by Timothy Bottoms and Jason Robards.

Does anyone know who owns this title? I was always surprised that they didn't use the "One" video as a marketing tool to sell the movie on a large scale (In my opinion, a huge screw-up). Certainly there would have thousands of Metallica fans willing to throw down $15 bucks to see an otherwise forgotten movie, but maybe I'm just crazy.

2. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i beleive it is available on import DVD actually...always wanted to see this one too...sounds amazingly bleak [​IMG]

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I got a crappy VHS of this, and would love an upgrade! I'd love to see a restoration, as it featured some great black and white film work. Who owns the rights?

4. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I've always wanted to see this. I read the book 10 years ago or so. Here's the IMDB link for those who don't know the movie.

http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0067277/

Dalton Trumbo really went through some hell in his career with the blacklisting. Be nice to see a special edition with his story told and the history of the book being banned.

EDIT: looking on the IMDB boards, the general feeling is that Metallica owns the rights. WTF?!? i find that hard to digest, but could be.

5. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    I believe the ancient VHS was put out by Media. From the IMDb company credits page, I cannot surmise who might have the rights, for video or anything else, as this appears to have been an independent production. The only company I recongnized was Cinemation who put out Fritz the Cat, among many other offbeat titles.

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Yes, they were one of the kings of 70's drive in style films. If you saw last year's film BAAADASSSSS (the best film of last year so you should if you haven't), they are talked about as they also distributed SWEET SWEETBACK.

JGHG is available in the UK on DVD by some company I've never heard of, but for only 7 pounds. If you are a fan, it might be worth picking up, and getting one of the $20 multi region players just to see it.

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

The UK distributor is Arrow Films, which is quite reputable.

DJ

8. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

I watched that a few months back.

There are 2 DVDs I'm aware of. A French disc with apparently burned in non-removable subtitles and a UK Region 0 disc. All I can remember about the UK disc is the source was obiously from tape. Still a good image transfer for sure.

It's on special at www.amazon.co.uk for £6.97 (and they'll take the tax off for North American residents).

9. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

I've got the French edition, and the French subtitles are not burned-in (although they're non-removable). PQ is fair (too much noise reduction)

10. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

If it's 'forced' subs they should easily be removed by most players. Workarounds have been posted for many players including Pioneers and Toshibas.

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

A link for those work-arounds would be lovely.

Thanks,
    Ted

12. Eric Peterson

Thanks for all of the info guys. Since I don't have a multi-region player, I might take a crack at that Region 0 disc, as the price is very reasonable. [​IMG]

13. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

Eric, dont forget that disc is probably PAL even tho it's Region 0...make sure your player can do PAL conversions properly [​IMG]

14. Eric Peterson

Thanks Anthony, I almost forgot. I had a Marantz that could do it, but I had some issues with it and traded it for a Yamaha. I'll have to check the specs.

15. Juan C

Juan C Second Unit

Daniel is right, I've been able to remove forced subtitles on all the DVD players I've owned (including Philips, Pioneer and Toshiba).

Usually you start playing the movie with subtitles. Then you stop it and access the setup menu, where you set the option "Display Subtitle" to "None". Then (and that's the tricky part) you have to go back to the movie, not by simply pressing Play, but by using the disk navigation feature of your player (Title Search or other).

16. Eric Peterson

Okay, I checked the manual for my player and it says

"This unit can play PAL and NTSC, but your television must match the system used on the disc"
    &
    "PAL discs cannot be correctly viewd on an NTSC television"

What the hell does that mean? I thought all of the conversion was done in the player. Is this just a scare tactic to keep people from importing discs?

17. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

It means your player is capable of reading and outputting the signal from either PAL or NTSC disks, however whichever standard of disc your player is outputting, your TV must be able to display it.

In a nutshell, your player merely passes whichever standard is on the disc, it does not convert it to be compatible with your TV.

18. Eric Peterson

Thanks Mike!

I guess that means that I'm SOL. It might finally be time to look into getting a cheap multi-region player purely for occasions such as this.

19. Eric Peterson

I decided to order the R0 disc for the hell of it and see what happens.

It arrived early this week, and I tried it in my Yamaha player in my HT setup. As expected, it does not play right. I was a bit disappointed, but not really since that was what I was expecting.

I then decided to pop it into my computer and see what happens. I was quite excited when it clearly popped up on the screen. I skipped around in the movie and the picture seemed to be pretty good. There was some heavy ghosting when there were scenes with quick motion, but there really are few scenes in this film that meet that criteria.

The only thing that I found alarming, was an apparent edit. I distinctly remeber some full frontal nudity when Johnny sleeps with his girlfriend for the first and only time before heading off to war. Unless, I'm going crazy, that few seconds is chopped out on this DVD. It doesn't really hurt the film, but I hate censorship of any kind.

Anyway, I can now get my fix, albeit on my 17" computer monitor and not my 55" HT setup. I'm investigating my options for getting a player that does PAL-NTSC for my HT setup.