What's new

John Williams: The Berlin Concert (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Recorded live, in the midst of the pandemic, in the greatest concert auditorium in the world, with one of the world's greatest orchestras, the American film composer legend conducted two hours of his greatest film hits. The Deluxe Limited Edition, released in 2022, sold out immediately. But the standard edition is still available from German Amazon. The only difference between the two, was that the Deluxe Limited Edition included a couple of CDs.

There is a video blu-ray of the concert (1080i) and an audio blu-ray, both contain Dolby Atmos + 5.1 + stereo mixes.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B09S18WW5X?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

(For some reason, all Amazon links for me on this website default to Amazon UK, but just head over to Amazon.de and search there, if the same happens to you).

The concert is superb. Moving and exciting. The Dolby Atmos and 5.1 surround mixes put you there, in the hallowed auditorium. My only gripe, is that for such a unique and historic occasion, filmed in 2021, why was it not filmed in 4K for posterity?

Last year, I attended the Hans Zimmer/John Williams film music concert in the Berliner Philharmonie, with my son. As an introduction to classical music for him, it couldn't have been better. He turned to me wide-eyed, every time he recognised themes from films, such as Jurassic Park or Harry Potter!

Can't recommend this highly enough.

IMG_7930.jpg

IMG_7938.jpg

IMG_7940.jpg

IMG_3935.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

Last edited:

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The link takes me to the US Amazon site. It’s listed for $54.95. Is this the same version you’re talking about?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The link takes me to the US Amazon site. It’s listed for $54.95. Is this the same version you’re talking about?
Foreign Amazon links on this forum don't work properly, for some reason. The US site could be displaying the Limited Deluxe Edition, which originally had a retail price of $46.99. This edition sold out, but is available from third party sellers. The cover logo has a copper colour.

91X-CcWf7DL._SL1500_.jpg

The German standard edition has the yellow logo.

71sZIBFK9aL._SL1400_.jpg

There are also SACD versions and CD versions, so make sure it is the blu-ray version, if you want to purchase it.

YANG

Screenwriter
i wouldn't be surprised, most european videos are in 1080i except for movies.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Foreign Amazon links on this forum don't work properly, for some reason. The US site could be displaying the Limited Deluxe Edition, which originally had a retail price of $46.99. This edition sold out, but is available from third party sellers. The cover logo has a copper colour.

View attachment 222216

The German standard edition has the yellow logo.

View attachment 222217

There are also SACD versions and CD versions, so make sure it is the blu-ray version, if you want to purchase it.
It’s this one.

1716030142476.jpeg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Could be the German standard blu-ray edition imported (the price suggests this is the case) - but there should be a German ratings board certificate on the front, as well as a line of text stating "BLU-RAY EDITION".

Amazon listings are unreliable at the best of times and especially so, in the case of third party sellers. Maybe check with the seller first?
IMG_7946.jpg

Robert Saccone

Premium
FWIW The concert has been available on Apple Music for quite some time. I’ve listened to the audio and watched the videos. There’s also another European concert he has done there as well. Forgot what country it was recorded in but it was equally as good as this.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
FWIW The concert has been available on Apple Music for quite some time. I’ve listened to the audio and watched the videos. There’s also another European concert he has done there as well. Forgot what country it was recorded in but it was equally as good as this.
Looks like the concert available on Apple Music is edited - the duration is listed as 1 hour 32 minutes on there, whereas the video blu-ray is 1 hour 55 minutes and the music-only blu-ray is 1 hour 47 minutes.

VisionMan

Grip
Real Name
David
I have the deluxe version with the copper color logo and the 2 CDs. It is one of my very favorite orchestral recordings, from both the audio and video points of view. It may be 1080i, but the video quality is outstanding, as is the Atmos sound recording. Although the front wides are not used, the sound is extremely spacious, yet no orchestral detail is lost. And the string sound is smooth and non-strident. The hall sound is very well recorded, and during the applause, you feel that you are in the middle of the audience! I cannot recommend it enough.

There is another Deutsche Grammophon John Williams release from a year earlier, this one done in Vienna with the Wiener Philharmoniker. It is actually a longer performance, video total time 155:44. Some of the selections are the same, but the big difference is that the violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter performs with the orchestra on 8 selections. There is also a 27 minute bonus conversation between Williams and Mutter. The Vienna recording does use the front wides, and the orchestral sound has a somewhat more distant perspective, but still with excellent detail and balance. The solo violin sound is excellent.

I have not tried comparing the 5.1 versions with the Atmos, and of course I could also upmix the 5.1 with Dolby Surround or DTS Neural-X to my full 9.3.4 layout. These would be interesting comparisons to make on a rainy afternoon someday.

Interestingly the Berlin Philharmonic has significantly more women in it than the Vienna group, and I would say the playing of the Berlin has more verve. Also of note is that the production teams of both the audio and video are completely different. Overall, the Vienna recording is also a very fine effort, altho if I could have only one I would pick the Berlin recording. The orchestral playing is simply fabulous.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This is an exquisite and thrilling program. I bought the blu-ray with the CDs some time ago. I never tire of it. Pure spine-tingling joy.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Looks like the concert available on Apple Music is edited - the duration is listed as 1 hour 32 minutes on there, whereas the video blu-ray is 1 hour 55 minutes and the music-only blu-ray is 1 hour 47 minutes.
I guess they had to hold something back to encourage disc sales 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azy
Recent bookmarks