What's new

JOHN WILLIAMS shouldn't jump on the "RECYCLE MY PREVIOUS WORKS" bandwagon... (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
Wonder if any one of you had noticed,in HARRY POTTER there are several cues of the score sound too familiar from his previous works...example...STARWARS!

BORN ON THE FORTH OF JULY,MIDWAY,JAWS,CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE THIRD KIND...to the most recent SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and PHANTOM MENACE,had always been a new experience to me...they sound different from one another,a fresh new feeling.

No...not for today...not to HARRY POTTER.

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I like his music style, but Harry Potter seems to be derivative of a lot of his other stuff. When I first saw the trailer for Harry Potter, I thought they were using the music from "Hook" as a temp track.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
You know, I thought it was just me. I thought I was hearing things that were familiar but dismissed it. Guess I wasn't imagining things.

Jonathon Tillman

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I did notice that, I watched the entire credits and I was surpised to see that John williams did do the score, I mean doesn't he only do music for spielberg, is he assigned to a studio? or he does it for everyone? Not to go off to much topic but I did see that ILM did the special effects for harry potter, great job. I am sure they will do that for the upcomming sequals!

Jon

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not to go off to much topic but I did see that ILM did the special effects for harry potter, great job. I am sure they will do that for the upcomming sequals!
Going too much off topic, ILM actually only did part of the special effects for Harry Potter (Voldemort's face on the back of Ian Hart's head.) Nearly every F/X house out there was working on this thing. However, CoS is being done exclusively by ILM. We'll see if there's any differences.

YANG

Screenwriter
If his works sounds familiar to a film which will have or already have a sequel...i don't mind at all.But HARRY POTTER is a totally different genre...a fantasy,adventure...a totally different movie from STARWARS!

Although there is a "dog fight" sequence in HARRY POTTER...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Really? ILM is doing everything for Chamber of Secrets? Thats a pity; I thought the guys at The Mill did their usual great job. These guys are absolute geniuses when it comes to Inferno* and Flame*.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Composers have been recycling their own music for years - well before John Williams was born. Rossini is a prime example. The Barber of Sevile overture is the overture for at least 2 of his other operas. Also, you will find that a composer's style is evident in many of their pieces. That is why I (and many people) can identify the composer of a work I have never heard of - just by hearing the style (melodies, harmonies, counterpoint, form, orchetsration...). All composers have a distinctive style that is all their own.

Now, what I don't like about John Williams music is this: he literally steals the music from other composers and puts it into his scores calling it his own. I couldn't believe when a friend pointed out the following to me: He played me a section from the original Star Wars album. Then he played the beginning of the 2nd half of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. IDENTICAL. Guess who is listed as the Composer of that music - JOHN WILLIAMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks