John Wayne, Liz Taylor and Tracy / Hepburn Signature sets from Warners

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, Aug 19, 2004.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    DVD Times is carrying the official announcement of three new Signature sets frm Warners, John Wayne, Elizabeth Taylor and - the most interesting because it carries more than merely currently available material recycled - Tracy / Hepburn.

Wayne fans should know that Warners have flagged SEs of both The Searchers and Stagecoach for release in 2006 (long time away...)

Details here.

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Too bad the Wayne set is repacked, I was really looking forward to the SE of The Searchers, which would of made this box set a no brainer.

3. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    From DVD Times:

"co-star and best friend" eh? Now is that putting it mildly or an example of polite discretion? [​IMG]

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

So whatever happened to the 50th Anniversary Edition of "The Searchers" and the Special Edition of "Stagecoach" that was announced at the last Warner chat?

5. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    What's the point of having a Tracy/Hepburn set if they aren't going to include the titles not on DVD yet? I know they own WITHOUT LOVE as well as a couple others I believe.

Hopefully they'll release BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK around the same time.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Warner stated during the chat that "The Searchers" wouldn't be released until 2005 at the earliest.

Crawdaddy

7. Robert Crawford

Robert

I don't know, maybe, they think since dvd is mainstream now, they can sell more of these dvds in a dvd set. I'm sure many of us that have been in the dvd market for years already own these dvds.

8. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

From the chat transcript:

JeffNewcomb Are there any plans to revisit The Searchers or any of your other Ford titles as Special Editions? How about Hawks? Also, when can I expect Bad Day at Black Rock?

warnerbros THE SEARCHERS is getting a full photochemical film restoration followed by a new transfer. We will release it, along with other Wayne and Ford pictures in 2006 for THE SEARCHERS 50th ANNIVERSARY. Yes, there are more Hawks films coming, and BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK will be out in the near future.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Crawdaddy

I am one who has not got all of them yet

[​IMG]

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks John, I might pick up this Signature Collection in the meanwhile but I'd hope if WB plans on revisiting the titles with brand new transfers and the works, they'd issued them as single discs so that the current versions can be easily replaced in my set...

11. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott

I've got WOMAN OF THE YEAR but never bought the other two thinking better editions would come along. This set will give me a chance to get the other two as well as the documentary so I'll just sell my current disc of WOTY. Hopefully the other three will be released soon.

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Oooh, I'm hoping that The Searchers, one of the most beautifully crafted and influential films committed to celluloid, will be a stuffed to the gills 2-disc SE and I don't think Warners will disappoint.

Meanwhile, I've also held off the Tracy / Hepburn titles hoping Warners would revisit them with decent extras, so this Signature set - which should pop up at etailers at a very tasty price - is ideal.

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

That would be nice, as long as it's issued in a single-sized double amaray so that this upcoming Signature set wont be a complete waste of money when half the titles need to be replaced.

14. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping that Warner will release another Signature Collection boxset before the end of the year - The James Cagney Signature Collection that includes Public Enemy, Angels with Dirty Faces, Roaring Twenties, and of course White Heat (which has been one of my most wanted titles for a long time).

-D

15. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I REALLY want the Elizabeth Taylor set, except I already have them all already! But she just looks so damn hot on the box, I don't know if I can pass that up! I personally think that Warner is trying to get rid of National Velvet and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - because I have an inkling that along with Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, they are going to get special 2-disc editions. I know we can also expect The VIPs and Ivanhoe, two other Elizabeth Taylor classics, sometime next year.

Andy

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Excerpt taken from the Warner chat transcript:

If I had to venture a guess, Stagecoach probably won't be restored until those other Wayne/Ford films are released in 2006. So in 2006, we could see a restored The Searchers and Stagecoach.

17. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Where on Earth are the Signature Collections for Bette Davis and Joan Crawford? Someone had better explain this!

18. Robert Crawford

Robert

If they don't then what are you going to do?[​IMG] Something tells me that 2005 is going to see some Bette.

Crawdaddy

19. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

It doesn't make sense that the biggest female star to emerge from Warners during the Golden Age (Bette)as well as her longtime rival who had good runs at both Warners & MGM (Joan) have yet to have special packaging. The majority of the Davis & Crawford catalog is in the vast Turner/Warner film library. On the other hand, Warner Home Video is preparing a Garbo Collection for her centennial next year.

20. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

I agree that we must have some Davis and Crawford...
    Jezebel and Dark Victory need new restored releases, and it won't hurt anything to have The Great Lie, Dangerous, The Old Maid, All this and Heaven too, The Letter, Petrified Forest and others on dvd.
    For Miss Crawford, there are The Gable's movies as well as Mannequin, The Shining Hour, The Gorgeous Hussy, A Woman's Face (one of her best), When Ladies Meet, Humoresque, Possesed...
    But then there are Garbo, Shearer, Loy, Harlow, MacDonald, Garson, Turner, Sheridan...