What's new

John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection in May (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.dvdtimes.com :

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection for 3rd May 2005. Featuring five classic films from the larger-than-life American hero including Blood Alley, McQ, The Sea Chase, Tall in the Saddle and The Train Robbers, all will be available on DVD for the first time. The films will be available individually for $14.97 SRP while the boxed set will sell for $49.92 SRP.

The John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection Films

Blood Alley (1955) – An American seafarer patrolling the South Seas is asked by the daughter of a missionary doctor killed by the Communists to help transport the citizens of a small Chinese town to freedom in Hong Kong. This action-adventure based on A. S. Fleischman’s novel, marks the first on-screen pairing of movie legends John Wayne and Lauren Bacall.

DVD special features include:
Newsreel footage
The Hollywood Foreign Press Honors John Wayne
Crusade for Freedom
John Wayne and The Legion Poppy Sale (silent clip)
Air Force Honors the Cast of Blood Alley
1955 Promos on Blood Alley – Wayne discusses how he made it into the movies; "the monster” of movie land; the Mitchell BNC camera and his use of his home movie camera to capture scenes while on Blood Alley
John Wayne trailer gallery

McQ (1974) – John Wayne forcefully enforces the law in this high-velocity thriller that’s a revenge western set in the big city. Police Lieutenant Lon McQ (Wayne) investigates the killing of his best friend and uncovers corrupt elements of the police department dealing in confiscated drugs. Directed by John Sturges (Ice Station Zebra, The Magnificent Seven), McQ also stars Eddie Albert (Roman Holiday) and Colleen Dewhurst (Annie Hall, Dying Young).

Featurette

The Sea Chase (1955) –John Wayne and Lana Turner are a formidable romantic team in this harrowing adventure directed by Academy Award-nominee John Farrow (Wake Island). Sea captain Kal Erhlich (Wayne) is an anti-Nazi German freighter captain at the outset of World War II attempting to sail his ship from Australia to the North Sea rather than risk internment. Both Allied and German ships follow in pursuit, while Erhlich battles storms, sharks, and romances.

Tall in the Saddle (1944) – In this fast-paced entertaining western, John Wayne stars as Rocklin, a cowboy who upon arriving at a ranch to work as a cowhand finds his employer was just murdered. Although he has no friends, and no money, Rocklin stays in town, intent on tracking the killers and uncovering a plan to inherit the dead employer’s riches.

The Train Robbers (1973) – The action never stops in this western starring John Wayne, Ann-Margret and Ricardo Montalban. A gunhand named Lane (Wayne) is hired by a widow, Mrs. Lowe (Ann-Margret), to find gold stolen by her husband so that she may return it and start fresh. However, once they cross the border into Mexico to recover the loot, they discover two very different pursuers: a large group of bandidos and a lone horseman (Montalban), both of whom know their every move.

Two featurettes:
Working with a Western Legend – an inside look at Wayne with stuntmen Jerry Gatlin, Dean Smith and Terry Leonard
The Wayne Train

Details and artwork here.

I am all over this. Credit worthiness permitting of course (Warners looking to bankrupt me...)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes! Finally have "Tall in the Saddle" probably one of Wayne's most underrated westerns. Ella Raines was sure cute in her cowboy outfit.:D

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hmm.. out of all these films, the only one I've previously seen was "The Sea Chase" which I caught on TCM about 2 months ago and found incredibly boring. I still might pick this up though, the cover art is great as usual from Warners... how do the other films in the set compare?

(From the heading of this topic, I was really anticipating a definitive 2-disc special edition collection of Wayne's classic westerns)

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
That's a collection the world really doesn't need, four bad films with John Wayne, no thanks. I'll order Tall in the Saddle though, it's by far the best of the five and more importantly it has Ella Raines in it :D .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks