John Waters bonus disc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve jc, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

Bought all 3 John Waters sets and sent $5.95 to newline for the bonus disc without knowing any details. Anyone heard anything on this?

2. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

I've no details, but I am wondering about the offer.
    I haven't bought any of the sets so far. Do you recall an expiration date listed for the bonus disk offer?

3. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

From the certificate included w/each release, "Requests must be postmarked by 12/15/02 and received by 12/31/02"
    Just a few notes before you purchase any of these sets:
    1. packaging sucks, kinda like fight club except no outer shell and the trifold is secured by velcro.
    2. although the only extras are commentaries by Waters, they are extremely funny and entertaining.
    3. John Waters approved it, but there seems to be
    an OAR issue with Pink Flamingoes/Female Trouble. Both are 1.85:1 anamorphic w/s, but have been matted from their original 1.33:1.
    This being said, if you are a Waters fan these are essential releases to own. I'm hoping the bonus disc measures up.

4. Russ Felton

Russ Felton Stunt Coordinator

I not sure why Female Trouble was matted at 1.85 but Pink Flamingos was shown in theaters on it's 25th Anniversary at that aspect ratio so, in a way it is replicating the more recent theatrical presentation. Pink Flamingos was letterboxed on the Criterion 25th Anniversary Laser Disc that was released a couple of years ago also.
    Russ F.

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

6. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Steve, thanks for the info on the bonus disk. I guess I don't have to hurry to purchase all the sets. So much stuff to buy... sigh. Isn't it amazing?
    I was aware of the AR issue, but I guess Waters is OK with it. I'm sure that the framing varied based on venue back in the 70s anyway. I suppose that the disks have been "modified to fit your 16x9 TV." Oh well.
    I actually prefer New Line style thick glossy snappers to keepcases, so packaging ain't really a big deal to me. I'm sure these cases will be fine.

7. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

I don't have any problem with the packaging, but I can tell you that the forced matting on Female Trouble really bothered me. There are several shots where needed information is cut from the frame, for example, in the scene where Divine drops the fish out the window. In the full frame, we should see Divine swinging the fish (so the audience knows what's coming) - on the DVD the frame drops at her hand - there's no fish to be scene.
    As much as people here harp on widescreen releases, it's important to note that what we're really going for here are the Original Aspect Ratio - no matter what that ratio is. Female Trouble absolutely should have been transferred full frame, those that want to matte it in their TV can at the touch of a button.
    I haven't had a chance to watch Pink Flamings yet. What's interesting is that the prior disc is done correctly, with Polyester wide and Desperate Living full frame. Hey New Line, what gives?

8. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

I'm really pissed off that New Line matted both of these films. Both films should be presented full-frame and I'd love to know who is responsible for this awful presentation. I love both of these films, and I find it ironic that I'll have to stick with the VHS if I want to see the original framing compositions. I had hoped New Line wouldn't screw this up, but they sure did! If it weren't for the commentary tracks, the discs would be a complete waste of money. I'm extremely disappointed.
    -Jerry

9. Chris May

Chris May Auditioning

i cant agree enough with both Cary and Gerard Priori....why oh why should we have to put up with these great movies being hacked about...4:3 is fine if thats what their original theatrical release was (and it was coz i have a friend who has can prints of both of these movies)...they managed to leave Desperate Living alone...do New Line think we cant cope with a movie that isn't widescreen?...if this is so why didn't they give us the choice and put both versions on the disks?
    i suppose this isn't really just about these two movies....but after do such a great job with the other two volumes in this series some idiot in a boardroom managed to cock it up...as per usual