What's new

John Travolta set to pilot Quantas 747 with passengers (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
cnn.com article
Well, at least he can insist on non-edited films to be shown in-flight. Wonder if he'll stick with a roster exclusive to his films? How long is a non-stop from LAX to Australia? 15 hours of Battlefield Earth and Pulp Fiction.
It's been awhile since I can recall a Travolta film that was any good. Perhaps he is keenly aware of his and opted for a career change.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
The Daily Show joke about this was that this will be the first time that one person it responsible for the lousiness of the flight AND the in-flight movie.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Buzz, just wondering, do pilots introduce themselves to you or do you just happen to know his callsign or flight# and stuff? I'm just curious how you would know "his gulfstream" or do pilots (famous or otherwise) typically introduce themselves? "Hi, this is John Travolta in gulftream AJK932 requesting permission to attain 10k feet" or something...
:)
Jay

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I remember hearing about John Travolta was all set to become a commercial pilot for United Airline right before he revived his movie career with "Pulp Fiction".....

Walt N

Second Unit
More airline trivia: Anyone familiar with guitarist Steve Morse? (Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse Band, Deep Purple) During a lull in his music career back around 1989 he got a haircut and took a pilot job flying for Delta Connection (ASA). Seems he'd been flying for fun since he was a teenager, who knew? After about a year he went back to playing the guitar for a living.

Jason_H

Second Unit
By the way, the Qantas flight from LAX to Sydney is 13.5 hours...I just flew there and back not too long ago. No John Travolta on my plane, much to my relief. :)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I can't take credit for this, but I thought it was damn funny. It only seems appropriate for this thread. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
He's a competent pilot. I've worked him before in his Gulfstream.
he has a refurb'd quantas 707 now, not sure if he still has the gulfstream, probably does. He's no stranger to heavy boeing iron though.
[offsubject]I had a checkride today for my CFI, and ATC was screwing stuff up today, first time I've heard an A/C ask ATC a question and a controler respond "Uh, I dunno" :D
guess we all have our days. They're usually AWESOME up here.

Walt N

Second Unit
"[offsubject]I had a checkride today for my CFI, and ATC was screwing stuff up today, first time I've heard an A/C ask ATC a question and a controler respond "Uh, I dunno"
guess we all have our days. They're usually AWESOME up here."

In the US, they're usually awesome everywhere. Do enough flying outside of the US and you'll see what I mean. :)

(It isn't just the language barrier.)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
LoL
it doesn't help that they're mostly subcontracted.

they deal with HEAVY student activity up here, and handle it very well.

[/off topic]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks