John Milius talks Conan 3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Aug 9, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=35758
    While talking to one of the more influential Arnold Schwarzenegger fan sites, KING CONAN: CROWN OF IRON writer/director John Milius let fans in on what they can expect from the first Schwarzenegger/CONAN film in about 20 years.
    He revealed Conan will have a son accompany him on his adventures, and will still wield the Atlantean sword.
    “Yes, that will be his sword,” Milius said. “But he's also going to have an axe, and will use that quite a bit. For a Conan axe, of course, he's have to have a Frazetta axe, which would be quite impossible to swing around because of its tremendous size and weight. To be usable, a Frazetta film axe would have have to be made of something lighter than steel -- aluminun, maybe… [The movie] It was written for him. Its got to be him. Somebody younger will play his son but Arnold is Conan. The story follows him until he's old. Its like, King Lear.”
    ================================================== ==========
    This is fantastic news

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Crom,
    I Have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember if it was a good sequel or bad. Why it was produced, or why it was filmed. No, all thats important is that Milius is making a sequel, thats whats important.
    Barbarian movies please you Crom, so grant me one request; Let this movie KICK ASS. And if you do not listen, Then to Hell with you.

3. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

4. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I can't wait!!! Does anybody know a tenative release date?

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Well, that sounds...............EXCELLENT! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Garrett said it best: let it kick ass!
    Edit: perhaps Milius could write in a part for Red Sonja (to be played by Nicole Kidman), and have her wear that outfit she wore in the comics? Just a [​IMG] thought!

6. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Garrett's post is easily the funniest thing I have ever read on this board. Perfect. [​IMG]

7. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Garrett, [​IMG]. Nice one. This is exciting news, and a long time in coming. Hope Oliver Stone writes the script again.

8. Paul Case

9. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Actually Paul, Stone wrote the original SCRIPT...not the treatment. Then, he and Milius rewrote it into what we see on screen. I think it's safe to assume Milius did the most work here, but you do not give enough credit to Stone.

10. Paul Case

11. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

The most important question:

Is it going to be rated "R"??

The other 2 "Conan-Universe" films (Red Sonja, Kull) were PG-13. Seems they were watered down to make the film watchable by the largest possible audience.

-Nick

12. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Cool. I'm really excited about this one. I also hope this is an "R" rated film. The second Conan film was also watered down.

13. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Whoever wrote the majority of the script is unimportant. I just thought the collaboration between the two set "Barbarian" apart from all other S&S flicks. With the exception of Apocalypse Now, I find Milius' writing to be less than inspired, and Stone is one of the best screenwriters in the biz. If Milius is smart, he'll at least let Ollie look it over.

14. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H

Really? What about "Conan"? "Big Wednesday"? The Indianapolis scene from "Jaws"? "The Wind and the Lion"? "Magnum Force"?

I think the guy can really write well...