John Mayer's "Room For Squares" on DualDisc?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ron Reda, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Supposedly this came out today and contains a 41-minute documentary on the making of the album. Wondering how the audio quality on the DVD-side compares to the redbook CD version that was previously released.

2. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Haven't seen or heard about it, Ron. If the audio is better, I'll pick it up. Since Aware is a Sony label, there will be no dvd-audio on the dvd side.

On a side note, I went to two stores today to find the dual disc of the new Wallflowers album. Neither had it, they only had the cd. [​IMG]

3. ElevSkyMovie

Well, it looks like you can buy it on John's website. It doesn't say anything about high rez tracks. I would bet the stereo track on the dvd side is 16/48 pcm, which would be no improvement over the cd. I guess if you like surround mixes, maybe this would be one to check out, even if it is only dolby digital.

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I may be completely off base, but isn't it possible for PCM stereo to sound better than a redbook CD or do I have it all wrong? Since I broke down and bought the disc, I should have checked out the sampling rate. It did sound pretty damn good to me though. I have yet to listen to the DD 5.1 track although I'm curious about it. The documentary is very interesting though, but only if you're a big fan of JM.

5. ElevSkyMovie

Yes, it's possible for the pcm stereo on the dvd to sound better, it can be up to 24/96 on the dvd side. I don't think sony has released a dual disc above 16/48, which is so close to redbook I'd say there is no difference. Is there a pcm stereo track on the dvd side? From the specs I looked at, it only said dolby digital surround mix, so I figured they didn't do a stereo track, or they did a dolby digital stereo track.

If it sounds better than the cd, I might pick it up. I wish the SACD of heavier things sounded better than the cd version. What a waste. [​IMG]

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Wow, I completely disagree...I think the SACD sounds great compared to the compressed mess that is HT. For me, the telltale track is "Split Screen Sadness"...you can really hear the ambient noises in the background before the vocals come in and when they finally do, it sounds like Mayer is standing right in front of you.

7. ElevSkyMovie

Ron,

I think you're the first one here I've seen give the "Heavier Things" SACD a [​IMG]. I may have to check it out. You are right, the cd is a compressed mess. Is the SACD stereo layer compressed as well?

I assume the PCM on the dvd side of the RFS dualdisc is 16/48. Is the 5.1 mix good enough to warrant picking this up?

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Kyle,

Really? I thought that a couple of others chimed in and said the same thing as me when we discussed this in another thread way back when. To me, it's worth the purchase. While the CD is compressed all to hell, the SACD opens things a lot more...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I believe the the DVD side with the PCM is 16/48, but I cannot be 100% sure without looking at it again. Not sure on the 5.1 mix...I'm not one for surround music, so I've yet to try it out. I can do so tonight though...