What's new

John Mayer Multi Channel SACD! (1 Viewer)

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to report that his new release will come out in SACD 5.1 hybrid disc the same day the regular CD comes out.. I am looking forward to this one.. I hope they release his first album in sacd as well as it was a great album too!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I checked Circuit City, Red Trumpet, and Acoustic Sounds online and there is no lisiting for this SACD. Either it has been delayed (not surprising) or was just a rumor as an official press release was never issued that I know of.

J

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Crap! I just checked Best Buy.com and there's no separate listing for the SACD. I don't want to buy this twice (CD then SACD) so I guess I'll have to hunt around for the SACD. Hopefully I won't get one with spindle cracks. :angry:

edit: i just hopped around www.johnmayer.com and sony's site and can't find a thing about any SACD. May have been a rumor. Well, BB has it for $9.99 so I guess it's not a total loss if I buy the CD now and an SACD comes out later...

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just picked it up at BB ($9.99) and there's no SACD to be found...not like I was expecting it after the comments above, but hey, it was worth a try.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Great news indeed...hopefully it pans out!

From today's Music Tap site (http://www.musictap.net/):

John Mayer's Heavier Things, once thought to have been abandoned for his SA-CD issue, is once again on the schedules. Heavier Things is now expected to be issued on August 17 from Columbia Records as a Multi-Channel / Stereo SA-CD Hybrid.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this date holds. Being released almost a year after the original release kind of defeats any momentum a SA-CD may have with the buying public. I think the multichannel version actually won some awards, but never saw the light of day in release.

J

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
No problem Lee...I've been watching this one like a hawk. :D

Justin,

I agree...the momentum is shot. Now, people like me that are big fans but didn't want to wait forever for a hyrbid SACD have to double dip. I'm starting to lose my patience with Sony/Columbia on both the DVD and SACD fronts.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ya' know the saying that G Dub mangles at the end of Fahrenheit?

"Fool me once . . ."

I'll get excited when I have it in my hot little hands. Until then, color me a deep shade of jaded green.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
V-e-r-b-o-t-e-n.

There's a joke in there somewhere about you of all people needing to spell the Fuhrer's native tongue correctly . . . but I'll skip it. :D

-p

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Around here it's ver-bait-em.;)

I've never heard the album, I made a sacred blood vow not to unless the SA-CD released.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
It's compressed to hell. Hopefully the sacd stereo and multi-channel won't be. I'll wait for forum reviews. I just picked the album up a month ago from WalMart to $9. I was holding out for the sacd hybrid, but figured it probably wouldn't ever see the light of day. Why can't Sony get this right? Why must they shoot themselves in the foot?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Kyle's right...the compression is ridiculous. I never realized what CD compression "sounded" like until I heard this CD.

I think the multichannel version actually won some awards, but never saw the light of day in release.
How could the MC version win awards, but never get released to the buying public??? Isn't that like saying a movie won some awards, but no one has seen it?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
***UPDATE***

Both Elusive Disc and CD Universe are taking pre-orders for this SACD. It's slated to be released on 8/17.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
***This is for the stereo version of the SACD layer only.*** This disc finally came out Tuesday and, for once, I'm glad they delayed it and got it right. It's a DSD recorded disc and it sounds superb to my ears; it easily crushes the redbook CD. The lower level details in the recording are a lot easier to hear and the soundstage is deeper and wider. The improvements were most evident in "Split Screen Sadness". There are several parts of the song where John is singing over some ambient sounds and electronic beats and you can really hear the three-dimensional quality that the format brings. A friend of mine (a John Mayer and all-around music fan, but definitely not an audio guy) said that the vocals were so vivid and life-like, that not only did it sound like he was in the room, but that he could almost "see" him singing. If you're a JM fan, it's a must buy! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks