John Mayer - Heavier Things

Discussion in 'Music' started by ElevSkyMovie, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Can anyone get this disc to play on a computer without distortion? I just got it an it sounds like crap on my laptop, overloading everything. Obviously not the best sound system, but man, why do they have to compress the snot out of it? I'll try this weekend on the home stereo. It's not a very good one so I'm not very hopefull.

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I am a big JM fan, but am very disappointed in the sound quality on this CD. The compression is ridiculous. Granted, it sounds a lot better on a quality home system, but the compression is way too much. That's why I'm looking forward to a SACD version of it someday (fingers crossed).

3. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I had the exact same problem with this CD. It sounds horrible on my Computer, a bit better on my iPod. I too hope the SACD comes out soon.

4. ElevSkyMovie

I'm not holding my breath for the SACD. I was, but I gave up and bought the cd when I saw it on sale for $9 at walmart this week.

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

That's why I never purchased this disc on release date. First it was supposed to be a day and date release (a Hybrid at that, why not just make it a Hybrid only release, whoops it is Sony we are dealing with), then it was pushed back a couple weeks, then a couple months, and now before we know it, it could be close to a year. Talk about a missed window of opportunity.

There was a recent HFR story talking about how Sony cancelled the Beyonce SACD in the states but was still planning on the Mayer disc as their next multichannel release. No date was given.

J

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Ugh. Another over-compressed pop/rock album. As I think you are already aware, Kyle, there was a lot of righteous indignation over this in connection with Vapor Trails.

Unfortunately, if the problem is the original recording engineering, all a high resolution mastering will do is reveal even more how badly recorded/poorly signal processed/overly-compressed the orignal recording is.

-p

7. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

I was very disappointed in "Room for Squares" and it doesn't surpise me to hear that the follow up is at about the same level in sound quality. I attended one of his concerts with my gf this past March and the sound was very good there. It is a shame his albums don't reflect at least a decent sound quality.

8. ElevSkyMovie

While I don't think "Room for Squares" is the best engineered album ever, it certainly isn't the over compressed mess "Heavier Things" is. I am so disappointed. Another album of great songs that you can hardly listen to because of the production.