What's new

John Madden to move to Monday Night Football! (1 Viewer)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, if you don't like the combo get a radio, but do get a HDTV as well. GO ABC!

The second part of this equation is FOX. What do they do with two empty chairs?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think many of your perceptions about Madden is colored by the fact that Pat Summerall's performance as play-by-play announcer really went downhill in the last three years, which has also affected Madden's performance. Matching Madden with the excellent Al Michaels will breathe new life into Madden's performance, IMHO.
I disagree. Does anyone know how old Madden is?

Now instead of getting Fouts' interesting on topic commentary and Miller's sometimes hilarious sharp wit, we'll get dull slured speech comments about why the refs don't wear glasses or how someone's shirt is hanging out.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Does this mean I can watch a Thanksgiving Day football game on Fox next season without having to look at the obscene turkey-type monstrosity with 10 turkey legs sticking out of it? Hope so!

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
I think that Miller was just falling into place at MNF. John Madden's commentary is just like the video games, only stating the obvious. "Ooh, he dropped the ball, he should hold on to it better"
Well that's less MNF I'll be watching now. :angry:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I dislike Madden going to MNF. Madden is no longer the announcer he used to be. Personally, I would love to see Jimmy Kimmell get in the booth on MNF. The guy is funny as hell and knows football. Plus, we could have girls on trampolines at half-time. ;)
-Dean-

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
Kimmel would be cool as a commentator, as long as he would take it seriously and not as "hey the man show is on MNF"

He does seem to know some football.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Thankfully, Eric Dickerson is gone from the sidelines. Melissa Stark remains. Any suggestions for her sidelines cohort?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Personally, I like these changes. I thought that Miller was out of place in the booth, and Dan Fouts was not very interesting. Eric Dickerson was absolutely horrible on the sidelines (Lynn Swann was much better). While I agree that Madden is past his prime, I think this is an improvement just by getting rid of the other guys. There were several MNF games last season where I would turn off the sound and listen to music while I watched the game.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
With Summerall gone, Michaels is the only viable foil for Madden in NFL broadcasting. This move makes a lot of sense. I liked Fouts and Miller, but Michaels & Madden is too logical of a combination to not agree with ABC's decision.

Regards,

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
You guys haven't even discussed the most important aspect: will he still continue as pitchman for Rent-A-Center?? :)
/Mike

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think it's an improvement for MNF. I still think the Michaels/Dierdorf combination was the best, though.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Suzy Kolber would do just fine on the sidelines. :D Or if they are throwing around money, how about Ashleigh Banfield?
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Evan Case

Screenwriter
You guys are overlooking the most important ramifications of this decision: the potential changes in Madden 2003! :)
While you'll gain Al Michaels' excellent play-by-play, you're also losing James Brown's opening introductions and the cool Fox music.
I wonder what will happen.
Evan
*Whoops... missed the reference a few post up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks