John Madden to move to Monday Night Football!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just heard on the radio that John Madden is leaving the Fox network and moving over to the Monday Night Football booth for a 4 year $5million/year deal. I guess both Dan Fouts and Dennis Miller might be given the boot out of the booth. [​IMG]

2. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

That is truly terible news. I for one cannot stand Madden, and much prefer Fouts and Miller. Miller stills gets off on too much of a tangent sometimes, but he really settled down after a rough start.

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Miller is dust, Madden rules. Fouts should stay, however. His analysis got better and better each week. Funny, he never did it for me as a local sports anchor, but it seems he has found his niche.

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

In a move not completely unexpected, Fox is releasing John Madden from the final year of his contract. According to reports, he's begun negotiations with ABC for a spot in the Monday Night Football booth. It's unfortunate if he replaces both the insightful Dan Fouts and Dennis Miller, who brings a humorous edge to the telecasts.

5. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

IMHO, Madden is one of the top three in all sports broadcasting, right up there with Summerall and Michaels;although I think Fouts has done a great job, and I really enjoy Miller's antics, I think Madden will add some real depth and professionalism to MNF; you kind of knew he would make a move with Summerall's retirement.

6. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Actually, this is rather interesting. I wonder who the third man will be? Why not make a foursome and keep both Fouts & Miller...

As long as they go back to HD, I don't care if Bozo shows up.

7. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

Why not make a foursome and keep both Fouts & Miller...
    Can you imagine Madden and Miller in the same booth? Neither one would have a clue as to what the other was saying.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thank God. MNF is always something I look forward to, no thanks to Miller. I don't like that other guy, either. He just always says things that are obvious, like, "If they get a first down, they have four more plays." Yech.

Madden and Michaels could make a good team.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

He should retire. He's become a caricature of himself. I'd prefer Fouts and Miller to Madden on Monday Night Football.

10. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

11. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I agree with Phillip. Madden is far past his prime. As for Dennis Miller, you either love him or hate him. Most people that dislike him don't appreciate his syntax and feel "inferior" having to check on a dictionary whenever Dennis flashes his firm grasp of the vocabulary.

13. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Actually, I think John Madden and Al Michaels in the Monday Night Football booth would be a GREAT combination.
    I think many of your perceptions about Madden is colored by the fact that Pat Summerall's performance as play-by-play announcer really went downhill in the last three years, which has also affected Madden's performance. [​IMG] Matching Madden with the excellent Al Michaels will breathe new life into Madden's performance, IMHO. [​IMG]
    There is one downside though: I hope Disney (who owns ABC) doesn't festoon the famous Maddencruiser with Disney character stickers. [​IMG]

14. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Looks like it's official now: Madden and Michaels in the Booth...Miller and Fouts gone!~
    http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0227/1342019.html
    --------------------------------------------------------
    NEW YORK -- John Madden is joining "Monday Night Football."
    The gregarious announcer agreed to a four-year deal with ABC and will team with veteran play-by-play man Al Michaels to form a two-man booth on the show, two industry sources told The Associated Press on Thursday on condition of anonymity.
    ABC scheduled a conference call later today to make the announcement.
    Madden had one year remaining on his contract with Fox Sports, but that network agreed late Wednesday to free him from that deal.
    He and ABC then quickly finished hammering out a contract which is worth about $5 million per season, one of the sources said. Madden could wind up making much more from the marketing opportunities that will arise thanks to his weekly prime-time appearances on ABC.
    Madden's arrival almost certainly means the departures of comedian Dennis Miller and color analyst Dan Fouts from "Monday Night Football." Miller was offered the chance to stay on the program in a minor role, one of the sources said.
    Madden, who coached the Oakland Raiders to the 1977 Super Bowl championship, had been at Fox since 1994. Before that, he and longtime play-by-play partner Pat Summerall were at CBS, where they were paired in 1981. Summerall said a week before this year's Super Bowl that he and Madden would part ways after calling the game for Fox on Feb. 3.
    Mirroring a general trend in television, the ratings for "Monday Night Football" have declined each of the past seven years, including a 9 percent drop this season to a new low average rating of 11.5 (each rating point represents a little more than 1.05 million TV homes). Fox's NFL games averaged a 10.2, down 4 percent from last season, while CBS was steady at 9.5.
    The partnership between Madden and Summerall evolved into the signature sound for pro football on TV. Summerall's reserved tone contrasted well with Madden's free-flowing opinions and jokes.
    They announced eight Super Bowls together. Their first was the 1982 NFL championship, which remains the highest-rated sports telecast ever.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I think this is a big mistake by ABC...I could be wrong...I just think it's time for John to retire...not get a promotion.

15. Michael St. Clair

Well, I'll be watching a hell of a lot less MNF in the future.

16. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    I am with Michael...
    Even the games with teams I didn't care about...or games that didn't mean anything (which are 85% of MNF games to begin with!!!) I would at least watch the first half of...and sometimes the entire game.
    Now it looks like I won't even be able to get past the intro "Are you ready for some football" song this season. [​IMG]

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

If it wasn't for the fact that the Bears are in line for some serious MNF exposure next season [​IMG] , I wouldn't be watching the games either.

18. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Dan Fouts was tolerable. Dennis Miller? I couldn't stand him and actually watched less MNF because of his presence.
    I for one welcome this change. [​IMG]

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

As much as I didn't like Miller, it didn't stop me from wathing the games. Announcers are a very small part of it. Isn't it about the football? If I had my way, they would talk a lot less, but still... I love my football, and will watch whenever I can.

20. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

For the most part, I don't care about who's calling the game, I never pay that much attention to anyone. However Madden has always gotten on my nerves. The coach's clicker. Ugh. I can't stand watching that. I hate whenever he's manipulating the video. He always sounds like he's trying to impress people with his knowledge of the game, yet he seems to be pointing out the obvious most of the time. Sorry, I just can't stand the guy. I'll stop ranting now.