What's new

John Huston's The Dead...ever? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Are we ever gonna see this great movie on DVD? I've not heard anything about it since the advent of DVD. Anyone know who owns it?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Artisan (now part of Lion's Gate) released the (now OOP) VHS tape in the US (Columbia TriStar/Sony released it on VHS in the UK). Since it was independently produced and was not distributed by a large studio (it was distributed by Vestron Pictures--now defunct), the rights may be up for grabs.

The only DVD release I'm aware of was in Spain last year, under the title Dublineses: Los muertos. It's listed as full frame (though I've seen the film at least twice, I can't recall its OAR, but full-frame could indicate either Pan & Scan, Open Matte, or even OAR---on the unlikely chance that it was filmed in 1.37:1).

Personally, I think The Dead is a lovely and moving film, and I look forward to owning it on DVD one of these days ...

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
The Great John Huston is being mistreated on DVD. 8 years into DVD and still no African Queen, Night of the Iguana, His Last Great Film The Dead...:angry:

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

It would be nice ... but very unlikely. After a little further research, it appears that Artisan acquired Vestron's film library, then Lion's Gate gobbled up Artisan. To my knowledge, Lion's Gate has never licensed any of its properties to Criterion (i.e., they have no "working relationship").

So, if we are ever to see a Region 1 release on DVD, it will have to come through Lion's Gate.

Lions Gate Entertainment
2700 Colorado Ave., Suite 200
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Email: [email protected]

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Coincidentally Rogert Ebert published a review of this film on the Chicago Suntimes last sunday october 9. Does it mean there is a release date for this masterpiece? or is it a coincidence? Why a review now of a 1987 movie? Here is the review for anyone interested:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This seems like a good time to mention that I've been missing
Wise Blood (1979) for some time now. Missing seeing it so much that I considered buying a VHS copy. I can get a new one for $119.99, used for $45.
Don't prices like that indicate a healthy market for a DVD release?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Dead (1987) - Lion's Gate? Sony?
Wise Blood (1979) - Universal released the last VHS edition in 1997
The MacKintosh Man (1973) - Warner
The Kremlin Letter (1970) - Fox
Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967) - Warner
The Night of the Iguana (1964) - Warner
The List of Adrian Messenger (1963) - Universal
Freud (1962) - Universal

I'd love to these Huston films given a release. Most of them are very hard to see these days. Like Henry says above, Wise Blood VHS tapes go for obscene amounts on Ebay and Amazon Marketplace.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Roger Ebert has an ongoing project called The Great Movies in which he selects another "great" film every 2 weeks and then re-runs his original review, if available. (his first 100 selections were also issued as a book; so, too, with the second 100).

The Dead was the latest addition to Ebert's list, which is why the review appeared last weekend. I suspect that Ebert's review (available online and in the Chicago Sun-Times) inspired Matt Stieg to start this thread ...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I think he always writes a new one specifically for the series, even if he had reviewed the movie at some point before.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Night of the Iguana almost saw the light of day, but nobody "voted" for it. Darn Warners and their little games!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Warner have Night of the Iguana ready to go; the set was finished ages ago and it waiting for a window. There's a few others too besides, right?

seanJ

Agent
"The Dead" is a fabulous picture, the last great film from a great director - it`s fully deserving of special edition treatment on DVD.

Like all great filmakers` who`ve had long careers Huston had a few misfires, but even some of his lesser movies such "The Mackintosh Man" and "Reflections In A Golden Eye" have merit. And look at the actors in those films......Newman, Brando, Taylor, Mason, Julie Harris.... talk about top talent.....

Runar_R

Second Unit

I just stumbled across a R4-release while browsing Atlantic dvd. It's cheap, and it's 16:9. Can't seem to find any review of it anywhere, but like I said it's cheap so I ordered it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks