What's new

International John Huston’s “Moulin Rouge” Region B BFI Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I read in John Huston's autobiography (I think that's where I read it, I can't check as I'm not at home) about the efforts they went to, to get a "look". They wanted it to look as flat as possible (I'd think the can-can scenes at the club), & used a lot of smoke & fog filters to flatten out the image, so I suppose it has to be viewed with that in mind. I'd like to know what Robert Harris thinks of the new restoration.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If that’s the case, then it probably won’t be released. Correct me if I’m wrong, but MGM has a spotty track record on releasing classics.

Not on their own, but MGM licenses to Criterion, Shout! Factory, Kino Lorber, and Arrow. Seems like a perfect title for Criterion to release.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I don’t understand how people can budget hundreds or thousands of dollars a year for discs, but absolutely refuse to set aside $100 for a region free player that would allow them access to the films they want from around the world, often faster and cheaper than their eventual U.S. releases, if they’re released in the U.S. at all. Just boggles the mind.

One reason I shy away from non-region-A disks is that I have had enough experience with buying DVD's and LD's from abroad that were not as good as the eventual US product. It seems wiser to wait and have a choice.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One reason I shy away from non-region-A disks is that I have had enough experience with buying DVD's and LD's from abroad that were not as good as the eventual US product. It seems wiser to wait and have a choice.
That's another reason to read though people's opinions in this forum. It works both ways as several European discs are superior to the US product: Cover Girl being a good example.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
That's another reason to read though people's opinions in this forum. It works both ways as several European discs are superior to the US product: Cover Girl being a good example.
Also the BFI disc of THE KNACK (not perfect but much superior to the Kino disc), the Arrow disc of THE FURY, the German discs of FACE TO FACE & DOCTOR TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS (which is beyond exquisite) the French disc of MADAME DE..., the new UK disc of KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS. I could go on, but I won't.

In terms of this current BFI disc of MOULIN ROUGE, since it was a UK production, the original elements are in the UK and belong to Romulus, not MGM, which has only US rights and their DVD is based on a print. Now it's possible that someone with big pockets like Criterion could negotiate with both MGM and Romulus to give this 4k restoration a US release, but that might take years, and why wait?

The other day I was walking past a new, fancy poster gallery on Broadway and noticed they had what they claimed was an "original" of Toulouse-Lautrec's Moulin Rouge poster, with the thin man in a stovepipe hat in silhouette, and I was amazed how close John Huston & DP Oswald Morris came to capturing that look on film.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
No comparison intended, just a note that anyone who loves 'Moulin Rouge' would also love the wonderful French movie 'French Cancan' directed by Jean Renoir and starring Jean Gabin. It explodes with vitality. It was made just three years after 'Moulin Rouge' and is a wonderful complement to that movie. Complement, not compliment!
Mine is a Region 2 Gaumont Blu Ray from France, which has English subtltles.
The other great companion piece is found on the old "Warner Night at the Movies' DVD of 'The Maltese Falcon' as a supplement .. it's a 1942 short feature 'The Gay Parisian' directed by Jean Negulesco and a cast of The Ballet Russe Monte Carlo including Leonard Massine, and there's even an uncredited Cyd Charisse in there for those with sharp eyes.It has a great Can Can sequence.
You must search out the DVD. It's on the Blu ray as well as an extra feature but the transfer has been botched and it's virtually unviewable.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
USA rights to the movie are with MGM.
As a bit of history, Moulin Rouge was in the MGM package of MGM films sold to Australian TV in the late 1950s and I saw the first Telecast. It was indeed a Romulus/Remus film. Of course, Jose Ferrer did the Sigmund Romberg biopix for MGM in this period.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I don’t understand how people can budget hundreds or thousands of dollars a year for discs, but absolutely refuse to set aside $100 for a region free player that would allow them access to the films they want from around the world, often faster and cheaper than their eventual U.S. releases, if they’re released in the U.S. at all. Just boggles the mind.

Let me explain my history on this issue.

1. I used to buy Japanese LD's. I discovered that inevitably US versions became available that were of higher quality.
2. I bought an all-region DVD player, and subsequently bought a number of DVD's. I discovered that the quality was often poor, and that better versions came along that were region free or region 1.

Overall, I decided that this approach wasn't worth the effort.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I now have the BFI MOULIN ROUGE. It is a best representation of the film on video I have ever seen! Truly a major 4K restoration. It makes the VUDU HDX look like VHS.
I've been looking for this film for decades!! I'm popin gin it right now!! That it was done by BFI is it's own reccomendation!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Still hasn’t been released here. :(
That's the reason I bought a multi region Bluray player...no more reigion issues for me, I am able to buy the titiles I want, without the frustration of having either to wait or go without!!
The straw that brock this camels back was with the Blake 7 series, BBC American has never released a region 1/A set and I was over it...one of my favorite series and the only thing holding me from owning them was my BD payer!!! Enough!!! So got the multi-regional player and my life has been much simpler!
Region Schmegion...bring it on, LOL!!!!
Buy one of these and move on...you'll be much happier once you do!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks