What's new

John Hiatt fans-Crossing Muddy Waters (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Anybody know what is the difference between the CMW-Ltd Edition which seems to be an import versus the regular CMW as listed on Amazon. Amazon has 2 different versions, but I can only see a difference in the cover art. The # of tracks seems identical.

I just got this CD and it's my first Hiatt CD as I've heard of Hiatt before, but just never bought a CD til this one.

I've heard Lincoln Town, Crossing Muddy Waters before on radioparadise.com and thought I'd get the album. I've also heard Take it Down as covered by the Wailin' Jennys on their "40 Days" CD which is great.

I'm really liking the CD, seeing it described as bluesy or bluegrass like, I find it a lot like a mix between folk/country and bluegrass, but I find his voice always having that country twang to it. I listened to the CD this morning during my bike to work and liked it! The really sad title song though is kind of a odd contrast to Lincoln Town, the first track off the album. Fortunately, the rest of the album isn't as down as the title track, at least in my initial listen to it.

Any other Hiatt fans can recommend another Hiatt CD that would be a good next addition to add?

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ha, Just bought another Hiatt CD from Amazon used Bring the Family Radioparadise played another Hiatt song off the album so I bought another one...
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Jay

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I've always liked his album Slow Turning. It includes his biggest hit, Slow Turning as well as Drive South which was a country hit a few years ago. Tennessee Plates, Georgia Rae and Paper Thin are also very good. IMO, this is by far John's strongest album. I also have and like the DVD, Live from Austin, TX which is an Austin City Limits performance.

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
I'd second "Slow Turning" as Hiatt's best. "Walk On" is another of my favorites.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks guys, I notice both of those are "super saver" CDs...

I think the first song I heard from him was "Stolen Moments", which did get some airplay on the radio when it came out.

Jay

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Bring the Family is a classic, and his classic. The other ones from the A&M years, including Slow Turning and Stolen Moments are strong as well. A good overview of this period is the A&M collection that is out.
Walk On is a similar sounding 90s album with several good cuts. If you like what you have check those out.

His more recent 2000's titles have been more rock and all have at least a couple very good tunes on them. Of the recent ones, I highly recommend The Tiki Bar is Open.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It would appear that the (more expensive, not-currently-available-via-Amazon) CD on the Edel label is simply an import with a different cover.

Pretty much all of John's work is outstanding--I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of his albums. I've heard outstanding things about CMW and Beneath This Gruff Exterior. Personal faves include Slow Turning, Bring the Family (both available on Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc, as is Riding With the King) and Stolen Moments.

I'm a little less taken with Little Head and his Little Village collaboration with Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe and Jim Keltner.

(If you're into high resolution audio, there is both an SACD and DVD-A available of Bring the Family and his last album, Master Of Disaster is a hybrid SACD.)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It will likely change slowly with time but MOD isn't growing on me as fast as a JH album usually does. Looking forward to sitting down and listening to the multichannel mix soon.

The DVD-A of BtF is on its way to me now; just finally purchased after finally selling my Ultradisc.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey, interesting thread resurrection... I've since purchased Walk On and Slow Turning and both are great, really likeing the former and it's in my car right now.... Which brings my John Hiatt collection to 4... :)

I've heard a couple of tunes from Stolen Moments and I remember hearing a few on the radio when that CD came out... In fact, I heard another tune from Stolen Moments on radioparadise last night.

Jay

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Again, I wouldn't let radio be your primary guide. Even with just four albums, you've heard enough to know that much of his material is as good if not better than the singles released to radio. As someone who has a dozen of his records, I can say that the four you have are not atypical in that regard.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Paul, I'm a very slow CD buying and perhaps old fashioned... I don't buy MP3s and stuff like that, I still prefer the CDs, I like to read the jackets..

I do listen to internet radio and that is where I get to listen to a lot of various artists and a lot more variety of music. It's how I really got into artists like John Hiatt, and a ton of others. I have others on the purchasing radar and the used marketplace is good for me, so I'll slowly accumulate more CDs, it just takes me awhile, as always.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I just bought Perfectly Good Guitar via Amazon Marketplace for like $5...

See, I'm a pretty slow music buyer.. :)

Jay

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Not unlike another fave cut "Death By Misadventure" from 1983's Riding With the King, "The Wreck Of the Barbie Ferrari" on PGG is a terrific, allegorical story song informed by John's own former alcoholism.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Hiatt is going to tape another (he did one years ago) Austin City Limits this week.
He'll be with 3 other singer/songwriters; Guy Clark, Lyle Lovett and Joe Ely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks