What's new

John from Cincinnati - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I enjoyed the second episode as well, although Ed O'Neill talking to his birds is getting a bit annoying. Good to see Charlie Utter back.

According to the previews for next week:

It appears there wasn't much to Shaun opening his eyes at the end. Seems he's still a vegetable, but his eyes are open.

ErichH

Screenwriter
If nothing else, we get some mystery to go with surfing. So what if the language is culture `Did you dump out?' David Milch all the way. I'll give it a chance.
Certainly packed with great actors.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
One thing I don't get, Shaun is a great surfer, and was brought up in the sport, so how does he not know how to wax his surf board? He was eye balling the one kid and started to mimick him until the other kids made fun of him. Is he just shy?

I don't surf so I'm not sure, but I think you wax it a different way.

Also, Ed O'neil character was a police officer for awhile, do you think he was always weird or did something happen that made him go off the deep end?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I think he know how to wax a board, what he didn't know how to do is the pre-set warm up/activities. This is what he was looking for when watching his competitors.

He's used to showing up at the beach and getting in the water, the competition circuit thing is what's new.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
John was cracking me up in the bathroom stall, making the noise he overheard but didn't see what causes the noises.

I love how over-the-top everyone is when they are in confrontation mode. It's like Yost DNA lacks the filter mode when it comes to speech/verbal outbursts.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
John = angel? This show keeps getting weirder. I like how the Yost's take all of the paranormal activity in stride like it's no big deal.

"See God Kai" keeps looping in my head.

LOL at Butch's implants/head smoking.

The doctor was in Deadwood too, right?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved this episode. The stranger it gets, the more I like it.

Twice actually- he was Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott. The guy who plays John played Morgan Earp in Deadwood, Freddy the drug dealer was Charlie Utter and Vietnam Joe was Ellsworth.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Say what you will, there's nothing else like this show on TV right now. It's very odd, but at the same time, compelling to watch, even though it confuses and befuddles me from time to time.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
A lot of great actors in this show but I have yet to figure out WTF is going on, a religous theme soap opera?? I keep watching though...:crazy:

I notice a lot of deadwood esque slang, same writers?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show was half-created by David Milch (created Deadwood), and features quite a few actors from the Deadwood cast. There are also a few writers on the show that also worked on Deadwood.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
There is a great article about the show in the July issue of Outside Magazine. It is mainly on the Butchie character played by Brian Van Holt, but goes into some interesting explanations about the shows theme.

One tidbit, I found particularly interesting is John's last name, which is Monad. Apparently the 18th century German Philosopher Gottfried Leibniz describes Monads as "the fundamental unit, the true atoms, of the spiritual world".

So, as annoying as I currently find the show, I think I am going to hang in there and see how it moves along.

todd stone

Screenwriter
In the last episode where they were running from the hospital with Sean, there was this great opera music playing in the background. Anyone know the song name?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, does John draw his power of healing from others? Does that sap some life force out of them? John being aware of conversations from the characters is just weird.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
It's not necessarily John's healing power... Shawn healed Zippy, Zippy healed Shawn, and Vietnam Joe healed someone back in Vietnam. These all happened before any of them had met John.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh, haha, sorry, sometimes I tune out during Bill's ramblings to himself, which, I guess, means I didn't catch the bird's name.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Freddie: "He used the word "dissimilarities"?"

I about busted a gut.

Edited to add:
You might want to pay more attention to Bill. I'm beginning to suspect that he's the key character.

Well maybe not "the", but.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks