What's new

John Frankenheimer has died. (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Sad news, indeed. Just recently saw THE TRAIN in 35mm - what a great picture! I also loved listening to his commentaries - he always kept things interesting and related tons of neat technical secrets. RIP, John. :frowning:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Seconds, Ronin and Grand Prix are my favorites of his films. And one of the best people who contributed to the laserdisc and DVD format with his audio comentaries.

While not technically a theatrical film, don't forget to find his work on the BMW film series, The Hire. He directed the first one, Ambush. The technical work that went into that film was from the efforts of the stunt people who brought Ronin's car chase to the screen. Additionally, the technical expertise used on the first BMW film was used to film Guy Richie's film for the BMW series, Star.

I will finally open and view 7 Days in May and finally pick up The Manchurian Candidate among his other films.

Nelson

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
This is sad news indeed. While Frankenheimer's output was uneven in terms of quality, he produced some truly fine films. He was one of my favorite directors and will be missed. His commentaries were also among the best.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Seconds came out? Wow that must have slipped right under my radar because I don't remember anyone here at HTF mentioning this in a thread or review (although I'm sure if I do a search I will find them), in fact I don't remember ever reading a review anywhere of this. I have the SE LD but I will be getting the DVD of course.
--------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I did a search and apart from a few threads back in Jan. this DVD wasn't discussed much. I find that odd, especially here at HTF where I thought it had a pretty large following. So many DVD's so little time I guess.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The only Frankenheimer film that I still want on video (I've bought all the others) but will probably never come out is 99 and 44/100% Dead (1974) . It got terrible reviews but is one of the most underated films of all time. It's like an early Warhol or Lichtenstein painting come to life.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kevin-

If it makes a difference to you, I have the SE laserdisc of "Seconds" too and the DVD is the same, including the audio commnetary.

Nelson

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy-

You probably knew that I meant the contents of the laserdisc is the same as the DVD in terms of the film version and audio commnentary. But your point is well taken and the clearification is important to point out.

Incidentally, Frankenheimer discusses the use of anamorphic lens during the commentary.

Nelson

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Last night on National Public Radio they re-played a 1990 interview with John Frankenheimer in his honor. I wish I had been close to a tape/CD recorder because it was Very interesting, did you know that Robert Kennedy was in fact staying with John at his house and on the night of Robert Kennedy's assassination Frankenheimer drove him to the hotel?
Lot's of interesting facts about this man's life & career were discussed.
Anyone know where to get a copy of this interview?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If true, it only proves that the talent DID NOT pass down from father to son. Bay isn't fit to shine Frankenheimer's shoes...

Darren H

Second Unit
Anyone know where to get a copy of this interview?
Link Removed
You're right, Kevin. Fascinating interview. Frankenheimer also clarifies the misconception about The Manchurian Cnadidate being pulled from distribution out of respect for JFK. Seems that, as usual in the film business, money was the real cause.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Didn't Frankenheimer also do the infamous "car chase that started them all" in the McQueen movie Bullitt? I would have swore he had something to do with that film, and that is how the two hooked up to do the Grand Prix film. But it's quite possible I am wrong...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ryan-

Grand Prix made in 1966 starred James Garner, Eve Marie Saint and Yves Montand, with Toshiro Mifune and Jessica Walter.

Bullitt was made in 1968 and did star Steve McQueen, Don Gordon and Robert Vaughn and Jacqueline Bissett but was directed by Peter Yates. The short included with the Bullitt DVD tells of McQueen's preparation for the car chase with stunt driver Bill Hickman, who is the bad guy driver. McQueen does a lot of the driving in the Mustang.

Steve McQueen did make a film called Le Mans in 1971 about racing, but it did not involve Frankenheimer. That was directed by Lee H. Katzin. This film needs to be on DVD as does Grand Prix.

Steve McQueen did star with James Garner in The Great Escape made in 1963 directed by John Sturges.

That's what I know. Maybe Someone knows if Frankenheimer was consulted for Bullitt?

Nelson

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Nelson,

Thanks for clearing all that up. I don't know where I got that idea from though, but I swear I heard or read it somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks