What's new

John Frankenheimer has died. (1 Viewer)

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
What a sad, sad day. :frowning:
I just picked up The Train on DVD a couple of weeks ago. It is a fantastic film and I highly recommend the DVD to anybody who hasn't seen it.
So many good people are dying these days. :frowning:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Very well said, Vickie.

Sad news, indeed, and my heart goes out to Mr. Frankenheimer's family and friends.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
:frowning: I just finished watching "The Manchurian Candidate" & listening to his commentary. God what a shame! I'm very saddened by this news. My condolences to his family.:frowning:

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Such a shame to lose a great talent; with films like The Train, Manchurian Candidate and Seconds, he was an underappreciated pioneer of 60's cinema.
I actually just received my copy of Manchurian this afternoon, and will be watching it tonight in his honor.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Not nice news to wake up to :frowning: Frankenheimer was a fine filmmaker and it is a loss to film. Condolences to his family and friends, may he RIP.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Sad news. Another good director dies, and we have so few to spare. :frowning:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sad news indeed. I'm glad he had a chance to record some audio commentaries... A movie-length slice of his time has been preserved for the ages.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another thing about Frankenheimer is that he worked a lot in television, earlier in his career as well as later. His favorite actor was Burt Lancaster, whom he directed five times. If any of you are interested in his best films then I recommend the following:
  • The Train
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • Seven Days in May
  • Birdman of Alcatraz
  • Seconds
  • The Iceman Cometh (1973 Version)
  • The Young Savages
I'm really looking forward for the upcoming dvd release of "The Gypsy Moths". I have never seen the movie in it's entirety and it's never been released on any video format. From what I can recollect, I liked the film and with it's cast I would expect nothing less than a good film. By the way, this 1969 film starred Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Gene Hackman, Scott Wilson, and Bonnie Bedelia. The DVD release is scheduled for 9/3/02.
Crawdaddy

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Very sad news. I had just "discovered" Mr. Frankenheimer's work recently, watching many of his best films (Seven Days in May, The Train, Birdman of Alcatraz, Manchurian Candidate) for the first time in the last few months. I will go on exploring his body of work, hopefully for years to come...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Damn.
I hope his body of work is well represented on DVD, Seconds is noticeably absent. Personally that is my favorite film of Mr. Frankenheimer's but it certainly isn't my only favorite of this diverse man.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Seconds is on DVD, I rented it from Netflix awhile back. I think it has a commentary from Mr. Frankenheimer as well. Good movie, though I prefer The Manchurian Candidate and The Train.

A sad loss, my condolences to his family.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, "Seconds" came out on dvd earlier this year and it does have an audio commentary by Frankenheimer. This particular film probably captured Rock Hudson's best performance. Also, as already stated, Frankenheimer gave some of the best audio commentary by a director on several of his films released on dvd. He loved the format! I hope he completed an audio commentary for "Path to War", a great HBO movie about the escalation of the Vietnam War through the eyes of Lyndon Johnson and his top advisors. A dvd should be forthcoming later this year or next.

Crawdaddy

HenrikTull

Second Unit
He will be missed. Truly a great film maker that was (and will continue to be I hope) an inspiration to anyone interested in film.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
this is really sad news and condolences to his family and friends.

Ronin was simply incredible because of the car chase.
I was about to order The Train, Sweet Smell of Success. Now that this happened I will be purchasing others like the Manchurian Candidate and Birdman of Alcatraz as well

RIP

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Very sad news indeed :frowning:. Mr Frankenheimer was one of my favourite American directors, and one of my favourites when it came to providing DVD commentaries. My condolencies to his friends and family.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks