What's new

John Frankenheimer has died. (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Films directed by John Frankenheimer, ranging from excellent to mediocre at best:
  • The Young Savages
  • All Fall Down
  • Birdman of Alcatraz
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • Seven Days in May
  • The Train
  • Seconds
  • Grand Prix
  • The Fixer
  • The Gypsy Moths
  • I Walk the Line
  • The Iceman Cometh
  • The French Connection II
  • Black Sunday
  • 52 Pick Up
  • Ronin
  • Reindeer Games
Crawdaddy

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
:frowning: The film world is losing so many great people. It's depresisng. May he rest in peace.
Dan

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
This is really a shame. I must have watched "PATH TO WAR", the recent docu-drama on LBJ's presidency, about 5 times. It was incredible...he even brought back Gary Sinese to portray George Wallace for a scene. He is sure to win a posthumous emmy. He will be missed.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Well they say people die in 3's....Ted Williams, John Frankenheimer, and now who else?
No, there was John Entwistle, Rosemary Clooney and Ted Williams. That means there are two more to come.
(Kidding...I don't believe in that stuff)
If nothing else, Frankenheimer will be remembered for The Manchurian Candidate. Some directors go their whole lives without making one masterpiece. His legacy is assured.
I just wanted to add that All Fall Down and Birdman of Alcatraz were favorite films for years. Back then though, I didn't pay attention to who directed them.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
No matter what one might think of some of the works in his filmography, it seems to me that Frankenheimer always tried to do something interesting. Even if he failed at it, I generally found it to be worth a viewing. I'd much rather see a filmmaker try and fail than just do something designed to avoid any risk-taking.

He will most certainly be missed.

DJ

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Man,
this is really bad news.
Here is his complete film list
Link Removed
one of his last commentaries was Reindeer Games

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Very sad news.
Frankenheimer directed 'Seven Days in May' and 'The Manchurian Candidate', great favorites of mine, fantastic movies.
RIP John.:frowning:

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that he had to pull out of the upcoming Exorcist prequal at the last minute. I suspected that his health may be the cause.

RIP.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the Washington Post story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2002Jul6.html
Note the unnecessarily abrupt reference to 80's "clunkers." Well, it is what the studios wanted, what they financed. The directorial skill was still there.
Frankenheimer was a man of ethics, above average talent, intellect and humanity. It is all evident in his work, even in the so-called clunkers. His association with Jerry Goldsmith produced some great scores.
His was a presence we shall miss in films.
Sincere condolences to his family and friends

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I love his "paranoia trilogy" - The Manchurian Candidate, Seven Days in May and Seconds. I haven't seen any of his other films except Ronin. I might be picking up The Train soon. It is indeed a sad day for all of us film fans :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickNick
Recent bookmarks