What's new

John Ford at Fox: 21 disc set in December!!! (2007) (2 Viewers)

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
And the dvds are in a book/box that won't fit on a shelf with the other dvds.. I may pass on the deluxe set because of the packaging..

and already have on official dvds..
The Iron Horse (1924) R2
Steamboat Round The Bend (1935)
The Prisoner of Shark Island (1936) R2
Drums Along The Mohawk (1939)
Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
Tobacco Road (1941) R2
My Darling Clementine (1946)
What Price Glory (1952)
December 7th (1943)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I agree... that cover art is great and as sure a purchase as this set was, I'm considering going another route now after seeing the singles and considering the convenience of individual titles for storage.

Can we be certain that the remaining films will be released on their own or in smaller sets as well and which minor titles do we know will be exclusive to the big box?

As far as physical extras, is it just the book and lobby cards that we'd miss out on?

I'd really love to be able to own that book separately and just collect the individual box sets which I assume will carry the regular keepcase packaging. Would've been a better idea to design that huge box like the Hitch Masterpiece Collection but with slimline versions of the individual releases packaged inside. Would've come out to roughly the same dimensions as it is now yet much more convenient and appealing than a generic black box with disc hubs.

Oh well, I'm thrilled about these releases and will almost certainly go the individual route now but I'd just like to be sure that I'll be able to own all of these films.

Thanks Fox for these great sets!

WHV has got some competition this year!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So according to the press release, we seem to be missing all of the following from the major set if opting for the three individual boxes:

Born Reckless
Seas Beneath
Pilgrimage
The World Moves On
The Prisoner of Shark Island
Wee Willie Winkie
Four Men and a Prayer
Young Mr. Lincoln (Already available from Criterion)
Tobacco Road
+
The Battle of Midway (Plus Additional Footage)
December 7th
Torpedo Squadron

Will we ever get to see the above released in a 4th or 5th Ford box set?

I especially want Tobacco Road, Born Reckless and Prisoner Of Shark Island which is only available in the R2 Masters Of Cinema series, along with those WWII documentary discs!

I have no idea what any of the others are, though I think I vaguely recall watching Pilgrimage on TCM a long time ago and Four Men And A Prayer and Seas Beneath sound like cool titles!

It's the documentaries that I REALLY want though!

And TOBACCO ROAD! (a non p.d. Wee Willie Winkie would be nice as well...)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute -- I think I may have read that press release incorrectly.

Can anyone please confirm whether the 3 documentaries are part of the Becoming John Ford feature?

Will they be included in The Major Works Of John Ford At Fox box set??

Pete York

Supporting Actor
I think I'm reading it the same way you are Marco. The war docs are on a supplements disc with Becoming John Ford, which itself is in the Essential mini-collection (along with Frontier Marshal). You can see the extras disc in the DVD Times picture.

Also, from your list, Born Reckless and Pilgrimage look, from the foxstudioclassics link, to be available outside the big set as one of the single releases.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Pete, I missed those!

So the titles of significant distinction missing in action seem to be the following:

Seas Beneath
The World Moves On
Wee Willie Winkie
Four Men and a Prayer
Tobacco Road

I doubt Young Mr. Lincoln would be released separately due to licensing agreements with Criterion whose recent DVD release is relatively new. They probably allowed it inclusion in the deluxe set since it would not impact their sales in anyway.

I'm less concerned about Prisoner Of Shark Island as I've been collecting all of the R2 Eureka MOC releases. They are on par with Criterion as far as I'm concerned in terms of presentation and packaging.

Wee Willie Winkie is a Shirley Temple vehicle and thus available in about nineteen dozen bargain bin box sets from cheapo labels, and I am hoping that a proper box set of ST films is eventually released containing this title as well. I could understand why it's currently an exclusive to the deluxe set given it's context.

However Tobacco Road is a title that I REALLY want and am hoping it gets released on it's own!

The other two films, Seas Beneath and Four Men and a Prayer, I am not familiar with but would likely purchase if released separately as well.

I hope we're right about the Ford docu Pete. My only concern is that the ultimate set might contain an extra disc or bonus material that would host these documentaries. It would be a shame if that was the case because it's a huge selling point for me!

After considering all aspects of these releases, I am now certain that I will be going for the 3 individual box sets for price, convenience and packaging.

If Fox is looking in on this thread, please release Tobacco Road on it's own!!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I do know about that but I am holding off for a legit R1 release from Fox. I imagine it will come eventually.

Shark Island is a different story since the MOC release is part of a collectible series in itself which I hold in high regards and thus, purchased instantly.

But I'd like to see a US/Canadian release of Tobacco Road.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered set at Amazon to lock in the price. Amazon's prices tend to jump around with large ticket items. I also included something that will be released in January with the order to delay shipping in case a better deal comes up say at Costco or something.

They are showing many of these Ford films on TCM in December, where I am sure they will promote this set. For those who may not be familar with many of these films, that is a way to check them out before you buy.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fox have also stuck up a clip from 'The Iron Horse' and one of the disc's extras 'Scoring The Past' at the 'Studio Classics' website here.

The anticipation - kinda exciting ain't it :D

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is listing a seperate edition of MY DARLING CLEMENTINE with the release and pre-release versions plus FRONTIER MARSHAL but no listing of FM yet in the complete FORD AT FOX. I assume that will be included if MDC is limited to a single disc.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Amazon already has pre-orders for the following separate editions -
Pilgrimage & Born Reckless
Drums Along the Mowhawk
Grapes of Wrath
Three Bad Men & Hangman's House
Iron Horse
My Darling Clementine
Prisoner of Shark Island
When Willie Comes Marching Home & Up the River

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
For those of you who are Barnes & Noble Reader's Advantage members may want to check out this thread, and those of you who are not may want to consider joining now!

Using the coupon, I was able to pre-order Ford at Fox for $83.99 plus tax and free three day shipping. That took a lot of the sting out of this purchase. Currently, the Ford set is the 53rd best selling DVD on the B&N website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks