What's new

John Ford At Columbia 1935-1958 blu ray box set (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here is a look at the individual cases for the films in this set. All look like original poster art.

173_THE_LONG_GRAY_LINE_BD_3D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp_300x300.png
175_THE_LAST_HURRAH_BD_3D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp_300x300.png
174_GIDEON_S_DAY_BD_3D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp_300x300.png
172_THE_WHOLE_TOWN_S_TALKING_BD_3D_packshot_72dpi_1000px_transp_300x300.png
I would love to buy this box set, but I can't justify the cost. I already have three of them on Blu-ray with the exception being "The Long Gray Line" which I have in HD on iTunes. I'm hoping that remaining movie gets a Blu-ray release here in the States.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m trying to decide if I should buy the titles in this set that Twilight Time releases stateside through them and worry about the other titles later (since the ones TT issues are of most interest to me) or if I should just bite the bullet and get this set. Unfortunately finances are a concern at the moment so it’s just as likely that I’ll daydream about both and wind up with none.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I’m trying to decide if I should buy the titles in this set that Twilight Time releases stateside through them and worry about the other titles later (since the ones TT issues are of most interest to me) or if I should just bite the bullet and get this set. Unfortunately finances are a concern at the moment so it’s just as likely that I’ll daydream about both and wind up with none.
"The Last Hurrah "has sold out at both The Twilight Time and Screen Archive websites . "The Whole Town's Talking "is still available as of this writing.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"Amazon Global Priority" is costly, but no joke--two orders I placed arrived in two days, as opposed to the usual 10-14 days. Hoping this set (which I also just ordered) will come as quickly.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A freind of mine here on the forum connected me to this boxset, because I was in search of "The Long Gray Line" a film I only saw on TMC, anf trying to find information as to wether they had a BRD in the works, or??? Well no excuses, when I saw the writeup on the 4K and 2K restorations on these classics and all of the bonus materials and commentaries, I was hooked...and for $43.23 us it is a bargin!!!
THE WHOLE TOWN’S TALKING (John Ford, 1935)
THE LONG GRAY LINE (John Ford, 1955)
GIDEON’S DAY (John Ford, 1958)
THE LAST HURRAH (John Ford, 1958)
Release date: 27 April 2020
Limited Edition Blu-ray Box Set (UK and World premieres on Blu-ray)
A showcase for some of the most unexpected and surprising turns in the great director’s prolific career: The Whole Town’s Talking is a screwball comedy about a law-abiding man (played by Edward G Robinson) who happens to be the doppelganger of Public Enemy No. 1, ‘Killer’ Mannion; The Long Gray Line is a Ford military picture with a difference, focusing its attentions away from the battlefield and onto the fifty-year career of an Irish immigrant who rises through the ranks at West Point; The Last Hurrah is a star-studded political drama boasting the talents of Spencer Tracy, Jeffrey Hunter, Pat O’Brien, Basil Rathbone, Donald Crisp, and John Carradine, and; Gideon’s Daytakes us on a twenty-four journey in the life of Jack Hawkins’ titular London-based detective.
All four films are presented for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, with The Long Gray Line making its world Blu-ray premiere. This collection is strictly limited to 6,000 numbered units.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES
THE WHOLE TOWN’S TALKING
  • 4K restoration
  • Original mono audio
  • Cymbaline (2020, 7 mins): video essay by Tag Gallagher, author of John Ford: Himself and His Movies
  • Leonard Maltin on ‘The Whole Town’s Talking’ (2014, 6 mins): archival appreciation by the film critic and historian
  • A Trip Outside Ford Country (2020, 23 mins): new appreciation by academic and film historian Sheldon Hall
  • No Rules But Her Own (2020, 18 mins): writer and critic Pamela Hutchinson discusses the life and career of actor Jean Arthur
  • Lux Radio Theatre: ‘The Whole Town’s Talking’ (1941, 53 mins): vintage radio adaptation, starring Jim Jordan and Marian Jordan
  • Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 36-page booklet with a new essay by Farran Smith Nehme, an extract from W R Burnett’s Jail Breaker, extracts from Edward G Robinson’s autobiography, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray
THE LONG GRAY LINE
  • 4K restoration
  • 2-channel stereo and 3-channel stereo audio tracks
  • Audio commentary with film historians Diana Drumm, Glenn Kenny and Farran Smith Nehme (2020)
  • Living and Dead (2020, 17 mins): video essay by Tag Gallagher, author of John Ford: Himself and His Movies
  • Leonard Maltin on ‘The Long Gray Line’ (2014, 6 mins): archival appreciation by the film critic and historian
  • The Red, White and Blue Line (1955, 10 mins): rare promotional film for the US Treasury Department, featuring the principal cast of The Long Gray Line
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Nick Pinkerton, archival interviews with John Ford, an extract from Maureen O’Hara’s autobiography, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Anthony Nield on The Red, White and Blue Line, and film credits
  • World premiere on Blu-ray
GIDEON’S DAY
  • 4K restoration
  • Original mono audio
  • Two presentations of the film: Gideon’s Day, with the original UK title sequence, and Gideon of Scotland Yard, with the alternative US titles
  • Audio commentary with film historian Charles Barr (2020)
  • The BEHP Interview with Freddie Young (1987, 91 mins): an archival audio recording, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project, featuring the celebrated cinematographer in conversation with Alan Lawson and Roy Fowler
  • Milk & Sugar (2020, 10 mins): video essay by Tag Gallagher, author of John Ford: Himself and His Movies
  • Meet the Wife (2020): continuity supervisor Elaine Schreyeck recollects her time working with Ford
  • Leonard Maltin on ‘Gideon’s Day’ (2014, 4 mins): archival appreciation by the film critic and historian
  • A Day to Remember (2020, 29 mins): appreciation by Adrian Wootton, chief executive of Film London
  • John Ford and Lindsay Anderson at the NFT (1957, 5 mins, silent): rare footage of Ford visiting London’s National Film Theatre during the production of Gideon’s Day
  • Gideon’s London (2020, 4 mins): video guide to the film’s locations
  • Original UK theatrical trailer
  • Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Robert Murphy, an interview with producer Michael Killanin, an extract from Jack Hawkins’ autobiography, an extract from Lindsay Anderson’s About John Ford, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray

THE LAST HURRAH
  • 2K restoration
  • Original mono audio
  • True Blue (2020, 8 mins): video essay by Tag Gallagher, author of John Ford: Himself and His Movies
  • Leonard Maltin on ‘The Last Hurrah’ (2014, 5 mins): archival appreciation by the film critic and historian
  • Super 8 version (20 mins): original cut-down home cinema presentation
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Limited edition exclusive 32-page booklet with a new essay by Imogen Sarah Smith, John Ford on The Last Hurrah, screenwriter Frank S Nugent on John Ford, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
  • UK premiere on Blu-ray
Limited edition box set of 6,000 numbered units.
#PHILTD172
BBFC cert: PG
REGION B
EAN: 5060697920222

Attachments

• 71g9W0kvbNL._SX522_.jpg
    71g9W0kvbNL._SX522_.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 29

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
One would think that Gideon and Gray Line will be released here in the Colonies. As an aside the US variant of Gideon was black & white.
the Long Gray Line has been oop for years and copies that are surfacing are as much or more for a DVD than this box set is selling for...for me it's a no brainer, LOL!!! And...I not ony get a 4K restored edition of LGL but 3 other titles!!! Yeah, you know I went for it!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
the Long Gray Line has been oop for years and copies that are surfacing are as much or more for a DVD than this box set is selling for...for me it's a no brainer, LOL!!! And...I not ony get a 4K restored edition of LGL but 3 other titles!!! Yeah, you know I went for it!!!
LGL is a wonderful film. My print was used as reference for the restoration.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Never saw any of these films - noticed though how the artwork on the box tries to recreate the magic of The Quiet Man with the image of Maureen O'Hara being carried by Ty Power! Had a chance to meet and speak with Ms. O'Hara what an amazing lady. Check out her book and the story about Disney. The Whole Word Is Talking interests me and LGL too how are the other films?

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I loved "Gideon's Day" in color, which I had only previously seen in b&w. Freddie Young's lighting is pretty amazing, as well as subtle. Well worth getting just for the cinematography. But there's so much more. It has both a wry humor and sense of gravitas that's uniquely Fordian. Speaking of color, Ford seems to be using different color values for different characters and situations, which really enhances the film. Visually, there are moments in the film, where performance and compostion and color and emotion come together, that's really breathtaking. And those character actors! Cyril Cusack, Donal Donnelly, Laurence Naismith, Miles Malleson, etc. I think it's a major Ford film, and long overdue for re-evaluation.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Freddie was given a tribute at Dartmouth c. 1989-90, courtesy of Bill Pence. We screened a sequence or two from Zhivago in dye transfer, followed by Aurens in a specially struck 35mm print for that screening.

The following day, Freddie guest lectured at a Cinema class. Very lucky students!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks