What's new

John Doe 9/20/02 Season Premiere (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Did anybody catch this show tonight? I found it pretty amusing! I like the main actor and it seems to have a pretty good storyline. Although a little unbeleivable but I liked it!
What about everyone else?
but now do they have to switch the name to tommy? (thats the guys name I think)lol

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was The Pretender meets CSI meets X-files. And I loved every minute of it. I can definately see this getting into some rehashed storylines from the above mentioned shows. But for now, there is something good on Friday night.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup:
I really enjoyed this show. I wasn't going to watch it, but Firefly carried enough goodwill to keep me watching for another hour. Looks like I will be taping both shows next week. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The main character is a cross between Anthony Michael Hall on Dead Zone and Michael Weatherly from Dark Angel. Overall, a pretty damn good pilot. I hope that woman on the boat thing doesn't check out though... pretty damned foolish to call the show "John Doe" and then give him a real name in the first episode.;)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
This morning i saw a ton of good reviews for Firefly(which it was excellent) but some just luke warm reviews for John Doe. I enjoyed it just as much. Fox has a good Friday night 2 punch

capt

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I also liked it a lot. And I do agree that it is reminiscent of The Pretender. Hopefully the "Tommy" thing doesn't pan out. The brand on his chest is very interesting. I'm curious to see where they go with this. I'm weary of getting too attached to this show, because Fox has a habit of canceling Friday night shows halfway through the season.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Good first ep

I have an odd feeling they have no idea where they're going, and that a year from now it'll be treading water

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Personally, I enjoyed it better than Firefly. Looking forward to what they actually do with the concept.

Jason

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Pretender meets CSI meets X-files
You forgot "The Bourne Identity" :) I really liked this show and hope it continues to be as strong. I enjoy "The Pretender" reruns now and again, but it was too soap-operish for my tastes back then. Perhaps "John Doe" will hook me this time around.
I must say, I'd be tempted to trade my color vision for "John's" knowledge ;)
As for his real name being "Tommy" -- just because some woman shouts out a name from a ferry doesn't mean that's his real name nor that she's known him for a long time. Maybe she's just a piece of some larger puzzle and "Tommy" isn't his real name either.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I thought John Doe was surprisingly very entertaining. And I'll be making sure to catch the show as the weeks progress. Hopefully, it only gets better from here. And hopefully, FOX has enough faith to see it through a season or two.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Reminds me of Frank Black but with a more personal conflict involved. At least its something to watch on Friday nights.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed this new show and it opened with a very good pilot episode. Also, I agree that it's part Pretender and copied after it (which I loved until it got messed up). The acting from the main character and most of the others seemed very good as well.

This show has me hooked from the start, I'm watching every week and one I think Fox will keep if it has any hope.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I tried both Firefly and John Doe. Firefly I found boring. John Doe I found intriguing and more satisfying. Somehow, the actor who played the title character reminded me of Mel Gibson.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Andrew i thought the same thing at first. Like i was watching Mavrick :)

capt

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know why, but I thought the main actor would make a good "Bruce Banner", if "The Incredible Hulk" ever returned to the small screen.

Now I've got that melancholy piano song going through my head...

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy,

I have to say I really enjoyed John Doe's premire. I like the concept and am curious to discover why he knows so much and what the deal is with his strangeness.

One thing that I noticed was how much I was reminded of "The Pretender" by the show. Did any of you guys notice that too? I think it is a good thing as I love the pretender and think I will like this show alot too.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You aren't the only one. I was thinking that myself. Mix "The Pretender" with "CSI" and you get this show.

Personally, I liked it much better than Firefly, which I found kinda a bore...

Jason

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
John Doe is a winner in my book. Very interesting and good acting. Me and my wife both got goosebumps at the end when the woman was yelling his name. Something about that scene got to me. Awesome show :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
I thought JD was O.K. It had a lot of really cool gimmicks with the main character, but they were things that could get really boring if not used properly, or become overused. Watching him answer everyone's random questions and know every fact related to any situation gives me reason to be concerned about two things: boredom and lazy writing.

The latter is really the issue, and would lead to the former, for sure. And I don't think I'm jumping the gun here, there was evidence of lax writing already in the pilot. When John tracks the girl the first time, and figures out where she is, dude runs out, knocks over John, past the lead cop, out of the school where there's at least 2 other cop cars, gets into his car, starts it up, and takes off.

Here, writers just forced his getaway and make the police utterly incompentent in order to facilitate another half hour of brilliant deductions by John. Only to watch the same thing happen again 17 minutes later.

Further, this show is so blantantly filmed in Vancouver, and passed off as Seattle with minimal effort. This is always the sign of a show that has poor attention to detail. X-Files, Highlander, and even Dark Angel (to an extent) did a better job of not betraying the "illusion" they were pushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks