What's new

John Doe 10/4/02 (1 Viewer)

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I don't think anything I wrote below is a spoiler. If you catch it point it out.

Hmmm. Mixed bag this episode. My wife and I both agree that this is Fox's official attempt to resurrect The X-Files. But with less style and worse writing. It even starts at the same time the X-Files did.

The first two episodes were 4's out of 5. This was a strong 2. He really talks a lot about how much it bothers him he can't remember anything. We know, Doe, we know, get on with the story.

Still going to stick with it for a few more eps. Next week I assume is baseball.

Isn't he drinking a lot now, too?

Anyone else out there in HTF-ademia watching this?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
So who saw tonights episode? I really enjoyed it as usual.

I do not think it was just a random lie when he said that he grew up in Twin Falls and then moved to Istanbul. If he hadn't have said Istanbul, I would have thought nothing of it, but since he did, and it seems that's where people think that was the place shown at the end of last weeks episode, I believe that he at least has some recall of his past.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I saw today's episode. I agree that he must have some recollection of his past or he wouldn't have mentioned Istanbul. Does anyone know if the woman who was in the van at the end of tonight's episode was the same woman in Istanbul on last week's episode. I think it was, but my memory is horrible.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
That's more like the dialogue I was hoping to inspire about the location. I was pretty sure it was intended for us, the viewers, to think it was "the place from where he was part of a covert operation for super-smart agents". I was trying to stir up discussion on where it was and why it's in that particular location.
However, I wasn't able to see tonight's episode because I forgot to turn off my VCR. :angry: Any Cliffs Notes out there on this one?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I also missed last night's episode. Would anyone care to recap? Did we learn anything new about John?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, he is sort of obsessed with finding out who he was, but I think I would too. Not that we didn't know that there is some deep and dark mystery about this whole thing before, but it just gets worse and worse every week.

I haven't watched the X-Files since the 1st season, but John Doe reminds me of '24' a little.

This guy can't be human. No one knows that much. Why isn't he on Jeopardy?

Glenn

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I thought it was customary to start a new thread each week for serials. I saw this thread hadn't been touched so I started a new one. Looks like I missed protocol. I really thought this thread wasn't official until an admin says so. Not that I am playing "my thread is better than yours" I just really thought the weekly thing was the norm.
Random non-spoiler thoughts:
The clues to his past are being presented subtly in my opinion. The writing tonight wasn't very good. (Neither was the first season of X-Files for the most part.) I really wonder at the production's ability to keep this up week after week on the main storyline and keep it fresh. Let's admit right now the premise for this entire show would normally make up one or two good X-Files eps. Or a Twilight Zone (original.)
I'll check out a few more of these, but it's gonna lost when Odyssey 5 starts again with new eps on SHO. :)
Sorry no synopsis, I am not good at those.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ivan: For most shows people do just start a new thread for each weeks show. I dont know why it's not being done with this one... I like having a new thread for each episode. If the Sopranos gets a sticky thread each week, this should get at least a new thread each week :)
Brian

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
The show was great the first couple of weeks. Now it's just, like, he's gonna keep solving murder mysteries, he's gonna keep answering questions and trivia no one else knows about and he's gonna keep wondering who in the hell he is. It's getting old pretty fast unfortunately.

Hopefully, it'll pick up more and my thoughts are just premature because I feel this show still has potential.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
Cliff Notes:

B-story: The girl he hired from the bar sets him up with a "speed dating" thing. He makes a "connection" with one of them but then gets in trouble when some stuff that he seemingly makes up (from Twin Falls, Idaho, moved to Istanbul with his father) doesn't jive with the fact that he doesn't remember his father. The girl he hired jumps through hoops to get the other one back at the end of the episode.

Crime story: Gruesome murder where the lower half of a woman's body is found. DNA evidence at the scene and they match with a file record, but there's a catch: the indicated perp was locked up securely in a private psychiatric facility at the time. Enter Doe - he believes the perp is one of a pair of identical twins, and the twin committed the murder. Turns out he's right about twins, but wrong about the murder. Connection of the murders - both were social workers responsible for separating the twins when they were adopted (both have psychological problems, as the other twin is transsexual). Police go run to protect another guy connected to this, Doe notices something and springs a trap on the psychiatrist's assistant.

Doe story: Doe goes to a psychologist who hypnotizes him but doesn't find any memories. He is intrigued by the methods of the guy who runs the psychiatric facility and privately arranges to try his treatment, which involves a sensory deprivation tank. He wakes up to find the doc gone and the tape he'd made of the session missing. Near the end of the episode, we see two guys in black suits disposing of the doc's body by burying him in the desert. They are accompanied by the creepy woman from the end of the last episode. They drive off, retaining the session tape, in a black Suburban or similar SUV.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, I think Doe should get together with that woman who does research at the police station. She seems a much better fit than any of the speed date girls, including the one who was later brought back.

DwightK

Second Unit
I will add one point to Craig's synopsis. The license plate on the final black vehicle was an all white plate with plain black lettering. I see these plates every day going to and from work and they don't have a state's name on them, but they are valid in any state;)
Saw on zap2it that Doe had a better number than Firefly, 4.8/8 I believe.
I like the geek girl better as well. Even if the other is from Idaho.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've split off the John Doe thread into weekly threads.

You have to think that John Doe is an agent of some sort. He didn't even flinch at parasailing and attempting to land on top of a moving SUV. He's flown a helicopter with skill, and can drive the hell out of a sports car. The newspaper headline is how he's been found by the agency he used to work for (or was a test subject of). And now that agency goes around making sure John Doe stays in the dark w/r/t his past, and takes care of anyone who might help him uncover that info.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I heard a lot of good thing about John Doe so I recorded and watched the last two episodes. I like the show, but I'm not crazy about it. I think the scenes where it does some incredible physical heroics (hang glider for example) are a bit over the top. Also, the whole black & white thing annoys me. I understand they are showing what he sees, but jumping back and forth between color and B&W bugs me for some reason.

I'll keep watching to see where it goes though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks