What's new

John Carter of Mars film announced (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Variety is reporting that Paramount is making a (very) big budget John Carter of Mars movie, with Robert Rodriguez attached to direct it. I guess this is another example of what happens when Lord of the Rings makes a billion dollars and cleans up at the Oscars :)

I don't know all that much about the character because I only read the first book, which was okay but quite stiffly written compared to the other Burroughs books I've read (a couple of Tarzans), but I've heard that's because it was one of his earliest works. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how well this one works on screen.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
About three or four, which isn't unusual for him, or directors in general. Some will fall by the wayside, some will take longer to get off the ground than expected, and some will actually get made.

Right now, I guess Sin City and A Princess Of Mars are on the front-burner, though I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see Madman get done between them - especially since someone else is doing the script for Mars, which is probably a good thing and will help slow the production down. Then he's got another 3-D family project he wants to do.

I am kind of psyched to imagine what Rodriguez will do with $100M of Paramount's money, considering his ability to squeeze a lot out of relatively small budgets on the Spy Kids movies.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
So, the John Carter of Mars project found its way from Disney to Paramount, eh? I remember reading A Princess of Mars over a decade ago in college, and learning back then that Disney had plans to bring it to the screen, but it never happened.

Rodriguez with a $100M budget? He got canned from The Mask of Zorro purportedly because he told the Sony suits that he didn't NEED a $40 million budget, that he'd turn in the movie on less than half that. For some odd reason, they didn't like that, so they replaced him with Martin Campbell. I'd guess if he's accepting a $100 million budget, he'll still maximize it, just hire a fancier craft services company or give himself a higher salary or something.

Anyway, I hope that this is actually true. The Burroughs novels are LONG overdue for a film adaptation.

Wither Tom Hanks's starring turn in Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd heard it was the other way around - Rodriguez added everything up, said he couldn't make the movie they wanted for less than $65M, and Sony canned him because his reputation for squeezing blood from a stone was why they'd hired him in the first place. They then hired Martin Campbell, who worked from Rodriguez's storyboards and brought the movie in... for $65M.

It is interesting that the movie is being set up at Paramount, because I was under the impression that Disney had an arrangement with the Burroughs heirs, that Tarzan was supposed to only be part of. And, in further "stretch to find irony" terms, the Princess Of Mars script that's been under development for the past ten years was from the same team (Elliot & Rossio) as the Mask Of Zorro one.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Cool news!

I'm also looking forward to the Solomon Kane movie that's supposed to start filming this year. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Perhaps I'm the only one but I'm starting to find that R.R. budget cutting ways are starting to get in the way. I'm finding that his short cuts are really starting to be short comings of his films. Although I definitely would love to see him do a big budget movie.
Thanks

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Surprised it took this long for that bit to get on here.

As long as he isn't writing or directing films, he can do whatever he wants...

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks