What's new

John Carpenter's Vampires - how about a SE? (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Why don't you mention where you got the information? It's obvious you stole it from dvdcompare.net. Please give credit where credit is due.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
As an SE, there isn't exactly a bounty of material made specifically for the dvd there. Is that segment of "The Directors" the same program sometimes featured on the Encore channel?

At any rate, I'm all for more lavish editions of Carpenter films on disc, and I love JC's Vampires. Was the question of whether the greenish sepia tone in some scenes (as with the coloration of the sky in the opening siege on the farm house)--apparently achieved with filters--intended and appropriate to the region one editions, or was the look supposed to be more line with some dvds from other regions (which somehow lack that effect)?

--Jack

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

What's the big deal? It's not like he posted an aricle or review and didn't mention who wrote it and what site it's from. They were just DVD specs. Lighten up a bit.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Agreed, about lightening up a bit on the first fellow...

Vampires is one of my favorite Carpenter films, and I am a Carpenter aficionado by all means; the standard-issue Region 1 release from Columbia offered a decent full frame/widescreen transfer and decent Dolby Digital 5.1 audio; perhaps more than decent on the audio front -- it was a pretty aggressive track. I havent watched it in awhile, but I have been dying to upgrade to the Superbit version to test that DTS track, yet I cannot seem to find it anywhere in print anymore, especially at Best Buy, who are still holding to their $9.99 pricing on most Superbits....

With keeping to the topic a bit, does anyone have any experience with the Superbit disc of Vampires? Is the DTS track worth upgrading for?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The was Carpenter's last good film. Since then, there have been nothing but remakes of his better films, and SEs of his best films. Has he retired, or have projects just not been that good to come by?

I still consider him among my favorite director's and Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing are his best works, IMO.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"The was Carpenter's last good film. Since then, there have been nothing but remakes of his better films, and SEs of his best films."

Ghost of Mars was the last "decent" effort and that flopped horribly. Since then, yes, they have been releasing his older works in Special Editions, although none of them have really been adorned with great audio tracks...:rolleyes:

"Has he retired, or have projects just not been that good to come by?"

He's been involved in projects like assisting production for his own Fog remake and things like that; my guess is he still needs a paycheck but has run out of ideas, if that is possible.

"I still consider him among my favorite director's and Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing are his best works, IMO."

He is indeed one of my favorite directors, too, Josh, and The Thing was AWESOME; definitely one of his best. I put Big Trouble in Little China next to They Live in terms of Carpenter films I did not like.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

He directed an episode of 'Masters of Horror' called "Cigarette Burns" (within the past year.) It's available on DVD and I dare say it's a FAR better effort than "Ghosts of Mars" or "Vampires."

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"I dare say it's a FAR better effort than "Ghosts of Mars"

This I can believe...

"or "Vampires."

But not this...:D

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
If the Superbit version of Vampires is still available, and displays well, I might be happy with that.
A better transfer of Big Trouble in Little China is certainly needed imo.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"If the Superbit version of Vampires is still available, and displays well, I might be happy with that."

Indeed Antonio; I am on the hunt for Vampires Superbit as well, via retail outlets like Best Buy (they have been droppin' the Superbits to $9.99) but it is undoubtedly available on cdnow.com/Amazon as everything usually is; I am concerned whether or not the quality improves on the Superbit from the standard-issue first release of the film from Columbia, which could have used some work in the video department....I was also hoping the DTS audio scheme would help improve the decently aggressive Dolby mix...

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
"I am concerned whether or not the quality improves on the Superbit from the standard-issue first release of the film from Columbia,"
Please help out a less knowledgeable member: I always thought that Superbit meant a higher bitrate transfer of a film, than that of stantard DVD. The process thereby assures a better transfer. Not always so?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Antonio,

I can understand where this would be a little confusing and head scratching; in theory, and according to Sony's marketing people, the Superbit line is SUPPOSED to offer a better transfer visually and audibly; most of the time, it is somewhat so compared to "original" releases of a said film, other times, I have had a hard time seeing a difference in the Superbit version....some discs in my collection which I have upgraded to the Superbits of, like, Bad Boys II and The Patriot, I could not see a video transfer difference between Columbia's original "Special Edition" releases and these Superbits....also, on the audio tracks, the DTS mixes on the Superbit versions of these titles were not night and day differences from the Dolby Digital audio tracks of their first releases; in fairness, Columbia did an OUTSTANDING job with the Dolby Digital mixes on both Bad Boys II and The Patriot, so the DTS had a hard time improving upon it. Still, the DTS is nice to have. Other Superbit discs in my collection, like AIR FORCE ONE, don't really look like "the ultimate in bit-rate transfer" as there is grain and video noise gallore in some spots...

Hence, I am uncertain if the DTS track on the Vampires Superbit (as I am more interested in over the video quality, really) is an improvement over Columbia's original release, which I popped in last night....there are places where the video can DEFINITELY use reworking, and the Dolby Digital audio mix, while adequate, seems lacking too in certain spots.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If I have one complaint about the audio on the original Vampire$ release it is that the bass in the DD track is way over baked, very "boomy". One of the main complaints against Dolby Digital's codec are with the bass clarity & control and, with this title at least, I agree*.

*However, all in all, I don't despise DD as much as others do, I just think an engineer got a little over zealous at the controls on this track.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Judging by his commentary on Cigarette Burns, I'd say he is 98% retired. He does mention the possibility of doing another Masters of Horror episode, but it sure sounds to me like he's left his theatrical release career behind him. Shame to go out on Ghosts of Mars, but he still has a hell of a track record for great flicks.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I think Ghosts Of Mars and Vampires are better with repeat viewings. I would like to see an SE of Ghosts because the commentary mentioned an outtakes reel that didn't make it to the DVD.

FYI, JC just directed a Masters Of Horror episdoe for season 2. I also heard he is trying to put together a documentary on director John Ford (according to the rumors that have been floating for a such a long time).

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Adam, for your detailed explanation.
I guess this is why we need revues and forums like this one. I'll make sure all purchases are carefully researched before I invest.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
"If I have one complaint about the audio on the original Vampire$ release it is that the bass in the DD track is way over baked, very "boomy"."

Kevin,

I have played the Vampires disc countless times since owning it, and never felt the bass to be "boomy;" of course, this could all have to do with how all of our systems are set up and calibrated: I, for one, am not using a massively large driver, just a 10" Polk which of course would not boom like a 15" or multiple subs would; in the case of Vampires, I always thought that there was actually not enough treble on the track -- like the high frequencies were lacking and a "blanket" could have pulled off the Dolby Digital audio. There were also instances where it could have just used more...well..."punch" but that is a complaint I often have of Dolby Digital sound mixes. Explosions on the soundtrack, like when James Woods blows up the motel where the hookers were and such, had nice punch, actually, from my sub, and I did not feel the LFE was too boomy. Yet overall, I am still tempted to demo the DTS track on the Superbit to see if it improves this soundtrack. That is not always the case with Sony/Columbia, as I explained to Antonio, as many of the titles I upgraded to Superbit did not floor me when I sampled the DTS mixes.

"One of the main complaints against Dolby Digital's codec are with the bass clarity & control and, with this title at least, I agree"

Many times, Dolby Digital soundtracks do indeed come with a bit of a bloaty, messy LFE scheme; but I guess, again, its all relative to our equipment, the setup, calibration, etc.

"However, all in all, I don't despise DD as much as others do, I just think an engineer got a little over zealous at the controls on this track."

Yes, Im definitely one of those anti-Dolby Digital/pro-DTS advocates! But again, I did not sense an over-cooked characteristic on the LFE of Vampires.

"he still has a hell of a track record for great flicks."

Absolutely agreed.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

No problem, Antonio....thats what were all here for! Any questions you have about DVDs, this home theater hobby or anything inbetween, just ask away and I am sure one of the many knowledgable members of this board will answer whatever they can!

Have a good weekend. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks