What's new

John Carpenter's They Live SE Coming to Region 1 Anytime Soon? (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
The last thread on this subject was over a year ago.

I don't want to have to buy an out of print copy of the old edition on eBay or buy a copy from another region (cause I can't play them).

Is there any possibility that the SE of They Live could come to Region 1? I can't believe one of John Carpenter's greatest films isn't available on DVD in the US!

Who owns the rights to They Live in the US?

I really want to hear that commentary track with Carpenter and Piper.

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
Just for your info...They Live region 1 is 16X9 and 2:35 with dolby 4.0...if you can find it get it...I liked the transfer....and LOVED the movie....its an image/universal release so there is the possibly of a new universal edition
but you will be save with this release......

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The rights issue was that Image (which released the disc) lost the rights to all of the Universal product they had which is why it's out of print now. Universal retains the rights to it, and since they produced it initially there sholuld be no further rights issues. It's just a matter of Universal getting off their butts and releasing it again.

But, I have to agree that they old image release, if you can find it reasonably, is an excellent disc. It's not one of my favorite Carpenter flicks, but the disc is excellent (and sorry, I don't want to sell mine).

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I have the R2 Momentum version of this, and the picture is truly excellent. I'm sure there'll be an eventual reissue here in R1. The Momentum edition shows that there are excellent source materials available, so hopefully the R1 will match R2's picture.

Esten

Supporting Actor
The Prince Of Darkness DVD is also available for the same price at Benson's World.Glad I waited.

One thing i've heard in a few reviews of They Live R2 disc,is that right after the "Directed by John Carpenter" credit goes off-screen,the AR switches from 2.40:1 to about 2.10:1 .
I wonder why that is?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Remember that They Live is being held back because of some secret agenda by the government or something. What exactly was it that that crackpot had posted on a website? We had a thread about it quite some time ago. His ramblings were good for a laugh, that's for sure.

Anyway, I'm glad I got my R1 before they got pulled, same with PoD. But if a pretty decent SE were to come out for either of those films I'd certainly do a rebuy.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone compare the R2 "Prince..." to the old R1 version. I own the R1 disc but am NOT thrilled with the (albeit anamorphic) quality.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

I remember that! I just did a lengthy Google search for that webpage but came up empty.

Suffice to say that I'd buy an OAR re-release of this DVD in a heartbeat. Gotta complete my Carpenter collection some day!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I'm not interested in the old region 1 release since I really want the commentary track with Piper and Carpenter. I can't play region 2 on my DVD player and even if I could, my TV won't display a PAL signal.

So I guess I have to wait for Universal to release a proper edition of They Live in region 1. I hope they do it sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks