John Carpenter's, The Fog out Oct. 4th.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Daryl L, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Has anybody heard if it will have a different cleaner transfer over the previous release?

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

As far as I can tell it is just a rehash of the previous disc with (I think) a new transfer from HD, all of the same extras & without the P&S side.

I'm not sure about the new transfer but I believe it says this on the back cover of the new case......I personally don't see anything wrong with the previous transfer but...whatever.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I would imagine that the only difference (if any) is that there will be "a behind the scenes look at the terrifying new remake!" [​IMG]

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Isn't the remake like, Pg-13...???

[​IMG] d

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Aren't most (current) horror movies PG-13? Then 'unrated' on DVD. [​IMG]

Honestly if you look at the original, it's not particularly explicit so it wouldn't be like remaking Last House On The Left as a PG-13. Either way, I'll give the remake a chance but I don't have very high hopes.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

One things for sure, it will feature plenty of blue light, MTV editing & artificial grain.

7. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

[​IMG]

Didn't one of the actor's recently say in an interview that the original was really dated FX-wise or something? Well, they used FOG machines meaning for the most part they has actual FOG as opposed to whatever CGI trick we'll get now.

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Another thing it won't feature is three pairs of large natural bosoms....[​IMG]

...sorry.[​IMG]

9. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

If we could get some confirmation on a different transfer would be nice. I have the current special edition but for a better transfer I am inclined to buy again.

10. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Kevin, THAT was good!

Ah, the good old days.....

[​IMG]

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    This is a case where even a better transfer won't move me to buy it again. I've only watched my current disc once and will probably watch it again this month, but I'm fine with it.

My take when the quote first surfaced is that he's basically right, in this way: in the, say, '30s, a man could dress up in a monster suit, and audiences would accept it. I've watched enough serials to know about accepting obvious effects. Nowadays, people would howl with laughter if such effects were tried. I would almost say it's a failing on the part of modern audiences for not being able to suspend their disbelief as easily, but budgets are too big and it's too relatively easy to acheive good effects to fault the audience for demanding a certain level of realism in the effects department. I do think the effects in the original Fog were good enough to pretty much hold up today, so I don't agree with him in that respect. But it's not, to me, the most egregious quote in the world.

12. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Me too. I have the previous release too. DVDEmpire says Remastered in the listed title.

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

So help me I remember a thread where the back cover of the DVD was posted & I'm pretty sure it said Remastered from High Definition...but the only thread I can find is THIS ONE....if anyone has a link to the back cover of the new DVD post it because I'm pretty sure all of the extras are exactly the same but it does say that the transfer is new.

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    [​IMG]

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Goddammit I looked at DavisDVD.com.......grrrr...well anyway there it is, "Remastered in High Definition"...it should say from High Definition but oh well, that's marketing for you.

I still say the original transfer was pretty damn good, I won't be double dipping on this one, I personally have no reason to.

16. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Well, according to MGM's webpage of "The Fog" it includes the original AND a new Documentary. But no mention of a new transfer.

I myself love this movie. Fog was and still is all the special effects it needed/needs. It's not a FX type of story, it's a horror mood (atmosphere) story. [​IMG] I would just like a cleaner transfer. So I'm buying it. Thx for the picture. LOL, I have more DVD's buy John Carpenter than another other Director but George Romero is close behind. [​IMG]

As for the remake, I'll watch it and hope it doesn't disapoint me like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre did. To much was changed from the original. [​IMG]

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yeah I looked at their page...didn't say much of anything IMO.
    So if they are including a new transfer and a new doc but it is still going to be a single dual layer disc, aren't they cutting down on some of the available bit space that the previous DVD had?

OH WAIT, I see.....Daryl, the "new" doc they mention on their site is the same doc that was on the first release, in fact that is the same info they gave for that 2002 release...yeah, I really do think this is just the old disc with (supposedly) a new transfer. That's all.

18. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

How do we know it's single layer?

And, OOP's. The previous release had the original and new Documentary too so looks like only the transfer is new, which is good to know.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Dual layer I said, not single. A single dual layer disc unlike the previous release which was a DVD-14 with the P&S version on the other side.

20. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Ohhhh ok sorry, I missread. Anyway thx everyone for helping me find out about the transfer. I just ordered it along with Cinderella. [​IMG]