What's new

John Carpenter's "The Fog", new SE coming (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well....I guess you could move all of the extras to a second disc (or, this being MGM, the flip side of a DVD-14) and boost the video bit rate and give it a DTS track......kind of redundant IMO though.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

Well said, Justin. The current Fog DVD is excellent in every way: a very nice 16x9 transfer, the original mono track and a DD 5.1 track, commentary by Carpenter and Debra Hill (RIP), two documentaries, outtakes, etc. I see no need for a re-release at this time. Rather, they should concentrate on releasing films that haven't made it to DVD yet or ones that are only available in MAR and/or non-anamorphic.

I, too, am disappointed regarding the lack of The Burning. That's at least the second (maybe the third?) time MGM/Sony has failed to deliver it to us after reporting that it would be released. This sounds like another Duel/Clownhouse fiasco.

Another title I was looking forward to from MGM/Sony is The Town That Dreaded Sundown. Someone from Canada (IIRC) said several months back that a newly remastered print was showing on some TV network up there. You'd think a DVD would be on the way. Maybe the Sony takeover killed it?

And how about a SE for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2? There was a rumor going around about two years ago that MGM was planning one and that it was to include a 16x9 transfer, a commentary by Tobe Hooper, Dennis Hopper, and Caroline Williams, deleted scenes, etc. Too bad that never happened.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Indeed. They've promised and promised The Burning, yet still we get nothing. Talk about disheartening.

That's another one I've been hoping for as well. I've actually e-mailed MGM a few different times over the years asking them to release it, and to include some features that explore the history of the true case. I love that kind of stuff. :D

MGM still has others I really want too, like Highway to Hell, The Curse, The Curse II: The Bite, Scarecrows, etc., as well as the titles that could use better treatments like Pumpkinhead and, as you said, TCM 2. All of this and then some, yet they're opting to release The Fog again. Its very frustrating.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
The advertisement says "New Edition" underneath the Fog blurb. Like someone else already said, my guess is that it may have a featurette and trailer for the remake plus the current extras.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Highway To Hell is a favorite of mine too. It's a bizarre little film with some weird and wonderful visuals. C.J. Graham was great as the Hellcop. (In fact, C.J. played one of the greatest Jasons in Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives.) Kristy Swanson was looking pretty good too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DavisDVD has now posted the back cover of the new edition of "The Fog". Looks like the same features to me, nothing new listed unless it's covered by the "and more...."

Curiously, the technical specs don't say "anamorphic" either, just 2.35 widescreen.

I think I'll just stick with the last release.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
How can you make a decision on whether to buy this re-release before the offical specs are out?

The latest press release lists a new anamorphic 16x9 transfer from HD, it also drops the fool-screen version too.
Which would suggest a higher bit rate..would it not?

Having the full specs now, I can hold off until the true HD or Blue Ray edition is released ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

No, the first release was a DVD 14, dual layer for the anamorphic side, single layer for the fullscreen side.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Ah I see, having just checked my MGM R1. I can see the fool-screen transfer is on the flip side, yet the more important LBX transfer is coupled with all the extra's.

So perhaps we'll have the new improved from HD transfer on a side to it's self. With the extra features on the flip side...that way the bit rate could be maxed out :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't see the need for this (marketing aside, what with the remake coming out), I would rather they remaster older titles that actually need a better transfer, the current DVD is fine as it is.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

If memory serves, the 16:9 widescreen version and extras are on the dual-layered side, whereas the full screen is on the single layer side (a DVD-14). Looks like the space was pretty well allocated. Other than some aliasing here and there, I thought the last release was pretty darned good.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, if the reviews claim the new release definately has a better transfered image quality I'll double dip. :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If the bitrate is improved, than I'm glad I didn't pick up the recently issued SE with the ugly cover art yet...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Kevin M, wrote:

Indeed, how about:

Heaven's Gate
The Apartment
Thunderbolt & Lightfoot
The Taking of Pelham 123
Colossus: The Forbin Project

All MGM titles now with Sony; all in desperate need for a new hi-def-sourced, anamorphic transfer from a quality film element.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks