John Carpenter's movies who should get a SE for R1

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Universal didn't do those two commentaries. They were done by Kinowelt, and I believe the owners of the copyright in this country would be Studio Canal+. Universal would have to license the commentaries from them. They would also have to figure out how to make a commentary recorded for PAL sound good in NTSC. The human ear will notice a slowed-down voice much more easily than a sped-up one, and no one wants to hear what sounds like John Carpenter on Quaaludes. The commentary for Starman was thankfully recorded at NTSC speeds, and is sped up on the PAL disc.

-Lyle J.P.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy They Live and Dark Star for sure. and Escape from LA please! The current transfer is bright and fugly. And not enhanced. What's the commentary on the German Dark Star?

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I wouldn't recommend the French releases for those movies. Many more extras are available, but transfers don't look so good to me.

They live : French R2 disc is heavily cropped : see comparison here.

Vampires : French R2 disc's color palette looks off to me : see comparison here. I don't know in which theater Nicholas Sheffo saw the movie, but when I saw it in a theater back in 1998, it looked just like the R1 Superbit disc...

Ghosts of Mars : French R2 transfer looks too green to me and encoding is not as good as the R1 disc : see comparison here.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I have the Region 2 UK version of They Live and that commentary track with Piper and Carpenter is hilarious. If you have a region free player, its worth tracking down.

J-EL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
J
I'm totally up for SE's of They Live, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I think Ghosts Of Mars needs an SE (at least to include the outtakes that Carpenter mentions in the commentary track) and so does In The Mouth Of Madness (which has some deleted scenes).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabeBillings