What's new

John Carpenter's Dark Star- Does it Have to be this Bad? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
i know its not the version Dan endorses, but I like the longer Theatrical Cut better. Can't figure out why. If a new edition is released, I'd like to see each cut treated equally.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The Digital Bits has an interesting review here :WARNING: This review has a pretty big spoiler in it so if you haven't seen the film then skip through to the Audio/Video assessment.
The part that interested me was this..
The new DVD version, from VCI's Magic Lantern Entertainment, presents the film in the best quality available, which admittedly isn't up to reference standards. The video master is analog tape, probably 3/4" or Betacam (you can see a brief tape hit during the opening sequence).
If this is true (and I still think this is an old transfer from at least one of the 1980's VHS releases) then we should start talking to Anchor Bay to see if, when VCI's license expires, they might acquire this and give it the treatment it deserves.

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of Carpenter, I just got my copy of the new R2 version of Starman. This baby has a nice DD 5.1 soundtrack AND a commentary with Carpenter and Bridges. I would rate this commmentary track in my top 3 and it's certainly the best actor/director track I've heard.

I have an interesting story about this one. While I was living in Jacksonville Beach in the early 90's, I was working in a small copy/printing shop. A man came in frequently to get copies made of a book he was working on about how to write screenplays. One conversation led to another and I found out he was O'Bannon and Carpenter's professor at the time they did Dark Star. I mentioned Dark Star to him and he related a funny story about it. During the movie (it's been awhile, can't remember the O'Bannons character name) Sgt (whatever) is making his video log and says he really isn't (that name again) but Bill Frick. That's the professor's name! At the screening, the audience absolutely cracked up.

It's been so long now, I'm pretty sure it's Bill Frick, but I can't find any info on him now on the web. I do know he wrote a few episodes of the Twilight Zone ( I saw one recently, about a man who lost his job to a computer...) back in the 60's among others. Anybody have any info on him? Nice man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks