John Carpenter's "Body Bags"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Allred, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
  2. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

Can't say I see this garnering too much support... Body Bags doesn't have much love, even from us horror nuts. But, Michael, I appreciate the good work you do. I love the DVD campaign pages and the information they contain. I owe you a beer someday [​IMG]

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Speak for yourself Matt, this "horror nut" loved it and would love to see a stand alone release.

4. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Nice to know there is some other fans of this film. I would like to see a re-release.

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I've actually been meaning to buy the current version off of Ebay recently, as its one of my favorite anthologies, and I'm tired of not having it on DVD. A rerelease with Carpenter commentary is something that I'd love to see though personally.

6. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Is it just me, or didn't the titles on this film briefly say "armpits" during the title sequence? I think it was when "Paramount Pictures" was leaving the screen...

-paul

7. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

I own the original DVD of it, myself. The operative word from my original post is "much." You'd have to agree, this isn't at the horror-nut-love-level of, say, Re-Animator, which –- when it was briefly OOP -– people went apesheet over.

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

More (apparently) than you give it credit for though, in fact most people I have asked about this over the years either liked it or even went as far as to say that they liked it better than most episodes of Tales from the Crypt.
    It's Carpenter, it's going to have a built in cult following.

Anyway if fairly underground cult films like Shock Waves, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things or The Asphyx can be released on DVD then I don't see why this film, that many horror buffs have heard about at least as much as Shock Waves and certainly more than The Asphyx, then I can see this getting a re-release....albeit (and unfortunately) it will probably just be a rehashing of the previous DVD.

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

BTW, I just signed your petition, Michael......I spelled it real good and all that stuff![​IMG]

10. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Honestly, writing letters to the studio is far more effective so I'm hoping that those interested will do just that rather than rely solely on an internet petition.

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

It was fairly good, the first 2 segments being the best.

12. Matt Harrison

I've recently noticed a DVD is back in circulation in most DVD stores and websites.

It lists the running time as 95m. It this new release uncut?

13. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

I doubt the new re-issue is uncut. They probably just came across a warehouse full of the old disc.

I don't have a breakdown of all the cuts on the DVD, but it is definitely cut. When I heard about it being cut, I compared the beginning of the DVD to the old VHS release and right there, it was obvious the DVD trimmed most of the gore in the wraparound segments with the cadavers being cut up and whatnot. After I saw that, I just ejected it and sold the DVD off.

14. Matt Harrison

Yeah I was aware of the DVD that was out being badly cut. I was just wondering because I read that one of the UK vhs versions released was uncut at 91 mins and if the DVD released is 95 mins, with 4 mins conversion added on, wouldnt that make it uncut?

I am probably just getting my hopes up but after seeing it on Amazon, Ebay and DDD.com all cheaper, I thought there was a chance.

15. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

It's probably just a typo. The original uncut VHS release in the US said 95 minutes. Artisan probably just used the same info for the DVD (although I no longer have it to verify the edited dvd did say 95). Artisan probably had no clue it was a cut version when they put it out. I'm guessing there was an edited version prepared earlier for maybe tv syndication and they just grabbed that one by accident.

16. MikePG-13

MikePG-13 Auditioning

I hope they bring this movie out and full uncut.

(This is from the first episode "The Gas Station". The car crushing that Bill squished.)

Watch: