What's new

John Carpenter's BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA 'zoomboxed' on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Lawrence M Yore

Auditioning
As producer of the DVD and supervisor of the completely new, Hi-Def transfer of Big Trouble in Little China, I can assure you that there was absolutley, positively no "zoomboxing." I can't speak to other people's memories of what they may or may not have seen theatrically (as if theatrical aspect ratios are always correct), but I can tell you that the aspect ratio of the transfer was based on the original framing charts. I will confirm this with the colorist who did the work, but he and I are both zealots when it comes to OAR.
Just to quickly put this matter to rest and to confirm David's post.....I can assure everyone that the most recent DVD transfer of Big Trouble in Little China is NOT zoomboxed. The anamorphic letterbox image was properly framed by the "zealous" OAR colorist.

Geez, David, I hope that this is not the beginning of another DVD Supplemental Feature -- "WHY ZOOMBOX?"

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for chiming in, Mr. Prior!
BTW, I love that Chapter 2 starts at the point where the movie REALLY should start (listen to the commentary to find out what I'm talking about). Whenever I show it to friends, I let the Fox logo show, and then hit chapter skip to get right into the movie. It's best when they first see Kurt and wonder, "who the hell is this guy and what's he babbling about?!?!?!" :)
An excellent SE of an excellent movie! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks