What's new

John Cameron Mitchell Delivers One Of This Year’s Best Performances (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Watch Out Jack & Guy, Here’s John Cameron Mitchell Delivering One Of This Year’s Best Performances
Early this year, I have seen two outstanding performances worthy of an Oscar nomination, Guy Pearce in Memento and Jack Nicholson in The Pledge. These two actors will now by joined by John Cameron Mitchell who plays a rock and roll singer searching for his own identity in this year’s off-beat and edgy Hedwig And An Angry Inch (see comments on the movie http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006656-7.html#150
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on September 08, 2001 at 02:42 AM]

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Agreed. When I saw Hedwig last week, I left the theater thinking "Okay, this is going to win for 'Best Actor', 'Best Song', 'Best Art Direction', 'Best Makeup', ..." :)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Haven't seen The Pledge yet, but John Cameron Mitchell's performance just sits slightly above Guy Pearce's for me. Like Edwin mentioned, his character seems to be flashy and outrageous, but it's truly personal underneath the mask of Hedwig. Also, the Hedwig character also gives more tasks for Mitchell to do than Pearce, which isn't to say Leonard in Memento is anything easy, but Mitchell has to play dead pan comedy, bombastic physical actions, confused sexuality, and much more.
BTW, it almost seems hard for me to pick which song is the most meaningful in the picture, "The Origin of Love" or "Wig in a Box?" I'm just waiting for the Academy to forget these and go ahead to nominate Lady Marmalade, which isn't really in Moulin Rouge anyways, ugh....

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
"Lady Marmalade" isn't eligible anyways since it's a (Patti LaBelle?) cover. I would be somewhat surprised if a song from Hedwig is nominated simply because it doesn't fit within the adult contemporary format. "The Origin of Love" is probably the most significant song, IMO, and has the best chance.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Mississippi Mermaid, Un Flic, How to Get Ahead in Advertising: The Criterion Collection, WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom
Most recent column: Panning P&S

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
It's one of the best performances up to this point, but I suspect this may be too edgy for more mainstream tastes.
True. That is why when an actor says, “I’m honored just to be nominated”, it really means something. Because with the Oscars, the members can only nominate within their own craft (actors for Best Actor/Actress nominations, cinematographers for Best Cinematography, etc.) before the entire process gets diluted when everyone else gets to vote for the top 5 nominees as sometimes they don’t know who or what they are voting for. I believe it was Tom Cruise who said that the voting process should also be the same as the nominating process.
Anyway, I’m glad that Javier Bardem was nominated for Before Night Falls, as I thought his was the strongest performance last year.
~Edwin

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
I was also completely blown away by Mitchell's performance. I expected it to be good, but he made the movie for me and did an incredibly job of occupying the character.
Tyler Ruggeri

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
It's in my top 3 of the year. Right now, it definitely deserves some nominations, but I doubt that it will get any except possibly for song.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks