Jogging with Your MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Angelo.M, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Curious about something.

What are the joggers/runners on this board using as a portable MP3 device? I've yet to settle on one that I'd consider stellar for running.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

if it werent for the quality control issues I would suggest a Rio 800. mine was great, especially since every 2 months or so i got to return it for a new one... till that one stopped workign at least.

3. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

I have the Nike/Philips psa 128. It's $179 at Best Buy . I love it. I use it at the gym, on a treadmill and jogging through the neighborhood.

It comes with MusicMatch software to load mp3s, but on my W2K computer it also shows up as a temporary drive so I just copy files over that way. Only complaint is that there is no "random" feature. If you pause it before you turn it off, it will pick up where you left off when you turn it back on though.

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Angelo,

Just be sure that whatever you buy also has an AM/FM tuner built in, when I'm running sometimes I want to "be surprised" and catch some radio tunes, or if I run out of my own MP3s.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Thanks, guys. I'm assuming the hard-drive-based players just don't cut it for running.

I tried the iRiver CD-based player, which I liked, but which was just too cumbersome for running.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Yeah i have a Nomad and its no good for jogging, though it does fine when shaken a reasonable ammount, but if it is even tapping against your leg as you walk it can lock up.

7. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Hi Angelo,

A few months ago I bought iRiver's IFP-180, and I love it. It's a 128 MB player, oddly-shaped (imagine a triangular roll of quarters), but very light and in my experience great when running. I wear it on my belt in a small cell phone case (for the folding type of phone), and it works perfectly. I got mine for $139 at Best Buy, which I think is an absolute steal. Sound quality is excellent, the firmware is upgradeable, and the software is easy to use. I can't say enough good things about it.

8. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

I had a Nomad II flash player. It worked well enough but I hated having to always load new music onto it. I'd want to take the player to listen on my daily commute and when you're rushing to work in the morning trying to catch the bus you don't have time to put new music on the player. Ditto for when I got to the gym after work.

My solution was to get a Mini-disc player. Grabbing a different disc takes all of 5 seconds and I've run over 200 miles with my MD unit, never a single skip.

Other advantages are that the sound quality of portable mini-disc units is significantly better than portable flash players and battery life is far longer. I found a single AA in my Nomad II would last roughly 15 hours, whereas a single AA in my MD will typically last between 40 - 50 hours.

9. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I have the NET MD MZ-S1 and it works great. I run with it nearly everyday without any skipping. The battery life is amazing on these too.

10. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Well, I chose a MiniDisc player. So far, I hate the software, but the sound is incredible and skipping... What's skipping?

12. Joe Lauderdale

Howdy,

I have gone through 3 different Portable MP3 players. Some old school 128Meg RIO that i forget the model, YEPP w/128Meg, and now my newest and most fav is the iPod w/6Gigs...

As far as flash card based ones... they are pretty rugged and cheap these days... very light...but their downfall is that you can only hold a few songs. I'm very picky and except no less then 198kb/s for my sound quality...

Hard drive based players are of course larger, more heavy, and probably less durable. I have had to return my iPod once because the HD failed on me. I had a new iPod sent to me within 2 weeks all covered by warrenty. Personally, I LOVE the iPod...it's not too big or heavy compared to the Nomad...plus i think it's a lot tougher then the Nomad too! (my friend has one)

...I run and weight train daily with my iPod, I also dock it to my hometheater system as well to my car receiver everyday... it takes a beating and doesn't skip a beat!
    Plus the iPod can hold a crap load of music to boot!

I recommend the iPod if you think you're going to be using it enough to justify its steep price.

BTW--My first two portable mp3 players were replaced because i lost the 1st one... and the second, i got tired of having only a handfull of songs on my player...

Best of Luck!
    Joseph

13. jason willder

jason willder Stunt Coordinator

Another Nike 128 here. The arm strap works great.

14. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'm interested in what's been said here about the iPod. I had assumed that it wouldn't be good to use for jogging/running, but I'm intrigued by Joe L's comments. Anyone else using an iPod for running?

15. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

I don't own an iPod but I recall reading on ipodlounge.com that the 5GB models do ok if you run, however the 10 and 20 GB models would lock up.

Obviously no one knows how the new models will fair, but in general I don't think it's a good idea to run with a hard drive based player.

16. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Allan: that's what I had assumed, that hard-drive-based players were not meant for running. I'd love to hear more from folks who use an iPod routinely for running.