1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Jog/Shuttle Dials

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Greg Lovern, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Stunt Coordinator

Will jog/shuttle dials ever make a comeback on disk player remotes? I used to enjoy stepping back and forth a frame at a time examining animated films on laserdisc. Are there remotes today that work well for that?

Back when DVD arrived, I read that it wasn't possible with DVD because each frame really just contained the modifications needed to change the prior frame; so each frame wasn't a complete frame. I assume the same is true of blu-ray and 4K. Okay, but can't a high end player have some on-board memory to store a couple minutes' worth of complete frames?

There's a tiny visual gag in Disney's 1991 Beauty and the Beast where a tiny character in a crowd steps "over" a sign that is above a door he's walking by. Easy to examine with a jog/shuttle dial on laserdisc; not so much on later formats.

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    My first Pioneer DVD player (Elite DV-09) had a jog/shuttle remote, so its possible. My guess is that the remotes are more expensive and bulky, so they raise the cost and aren't a selling point for most people. My current Panasonic 4K player looks like it has a slow feature - not sure if its frame by frame. I don't think you will see them again in consumer models.