What's new

Jog/Shuttle Dials (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
Will jog/shuttle dials ever make a comeback on disk player remotes? I used to enjoy stepping back and forth a frame at a time examining animated films on laserdisc. Are there remotes today that work well for that?

Back when DVD arrived, I read that it wasn't possible with DVD because each frame really just contained the modifications needed to change the prior frame; so each frame wasn't a complete frame. I assume the same is true of blu-ray and 4K. Okay, but can't a high end player have some on-board memory to store a couple minutes' worth of complete frames?

There's a tiny visual gag in Disney's 1991 Beauty and the Beast where a tiny character in a crowd steps "over" a sign that is above a door he's walking by. Easy to examine with a jog/shuttle dial on laserdisc; not so much on later formats.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Will jog/shuttle dials ever make a comeback on disk player remotes? I used to enjoy stepping back and forth a frame at a time examining animated films on laserdisc. Are there remotes today that work well for that?

Back when DVD arrived, I read that it wasn't possible with DVD because each frame really just contained the modifications needed to change the prior frame; so each frame wasn't a complete frame. I assume the same is true of blu-ray and 4K. Okay, but can't a high end player have some on-board memory to store a couple minutes' worth of complete frames?

There's a tiny visual gag in Disney's 1991 Beauty and the Beast where a tiny character in a crowd steps "over" a sign that is above a door he's walking by. Easy to examine with a jog/shuttle dial on laserdisc; not so much on later formats.

My first Pioneer DVD player (Elite DV-09) had a jog/shuttle remote, so its possible. My guess is that the remotes are more expensive and bulky, so they raise the cost and aren't a selling point for most people. My current Panasonic 4K player looks like it has a slow feature - not sure if its frame by frame. I don't think you will see them again in consumer models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks