What's new

Joey -- Season 2 (Submerged) (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thought the second season deserved its own thread. :)

I must say, this first episode brought back some good feelings about this show. Last season was very hit or miss to me.

The writing seemed much better overall with some great lines, faster pace, and more Joey being Joey. I think the biggest improvement was the pace though. There were some sections where the lines were being thrown out left and right with no breaks for laughter, which to me made it funnier and let the scenes build.

If this is the result of the retooling they did over the summer, well then they kept this viewer.
:emoji_thumbsup:

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I can not say that I am a big fan of the show, while I do enjoy it more than Friends. It was fairly nice to flip the channel and see Kevin Smith on there and Miguel Neunez as well. I loved seeing Kevin's awesome office.

Ryan

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm trying to pretend that Kevin wasn't really on this show. First 'Yes Dear', and now this...

Beau

Supporting Actor
I loved the first season, and was a tad worried when I heard they were re-tooling for this season, but luckily whatever they did made it even better (and, like I said, I loved the first season). I wasn't sure about Miguel joing the cast, but I thought he was great. Good to see Howard in there, even if it was only for a second and they didn't even say his name, but at least we know they havent got rid of him. Nice to know also that Bobbie is going to be more regular too.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I also felt like the show got a little edgier. The language was bit harsher (compared to say "Friends" or last season) and the plot seemed a little more dramatic.

Maybe it was just me though...

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
This is the beginning of the end of "Joey"...

While last season had its flaws, at least the character of Joey still felt like the guy we knew and loved on "Friends"...

Last night's episode felt as if I was watching a new character.

It felt all wrong. It felt as if the actors were "forcing" things more. It felt like a show where they met with network execs who said, "we need to make some changes here."

The reason "Joey" slipped in the ratings is because it was trying to fill the shoes of "Friends" -- it was never going to be as good as one of the greatest comedies of all time.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I felt exactly the opposite. This was more in line with how Joey Tribiani was in "Friends", and not the complete bumbling idiot he was in most of last season's "Joey" (I enjoyed both "versions" of him though). The stuff on the roof with Alex was pure "Friends" material.

I was happy to see Gina have less screen time, and I hope the new character stays (he delivered some laugh-out-loud funny lines this time).

Good start of the season, can't wait to see more.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The new guy was funny, but it got me thinking...how long before they introduce a cute homeless kid to the show?

I'll continue watching, but I'll be skeptical.

One thing that threw me off was Michael instantly doing the "yeah, I'm Joey Tribiani" to the actress. That seemed really out of character for him.
Although the whole "sex partner" thing had me laughing my arse off.

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
I’m saving my judgment of the new season until the first half-hour episode. Some half-hour shows don’t do well in an hour format (Seinfeld especially) and Joey may be one of them.

MichelleB

Stunt Coordinator
I loved it! I am so happy that it's back.
I was a bit worried when I heard they would change it, but I thought they did a great job. I'm looking foward to next week!

StephenA

Screenwriter
I liked it and thought it was funny. Like I said in the thread for the first season, I've never really watched much of Friends, so I can't compare the character from that show and this show. I should start watching Friends.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
What I saw was pretty good. I found that the first season improved as it went along and Joey going to the wrong audition is exactly the kind of thing he would've done on Friends.

My favorite line:
Joey: "That's a lot of work for a test I nailed 2 days ago."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed seeing DeeDee from "She Spies" as the girl Michael was pretending to be Joey for. Alex got a hotness makeover overnight, it would seem.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Man I thought the premier was great and as soon as they showed Alex, I thought the "yowza". She did look really good, especially in that little black dress. Thursdays is gonna be a crowded night for tv, but I'm gonna keep trying to watch.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was very hit and miss. Some of the stuff was kinda funny, but other jokes were abysmal. The new guy seems ok, and Kevin Smith's burn on Ben Affleck was hysterical (and I don't even hate BA).

I just didn't get the stuff that happened at the end when Joey was being all romantic and then started laughing and being all "phew!". Although that could be because I was watching it at 2 in the morning and was falling asleep. I'll have to watch the ending again later.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
And what about the stuff he's done for the Tonight Show? That was boggling my mind for awhile.

I admit I only caught about the middle portion of the show and what I saw didn't seem like much of an improvement. I may try to watch the whole thing so I can actually weigh in.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I loved Friends but was definitely disappointed in Joey last season (and I wanted to love it) and it never even bothered me when I missed an episode last season which was fairly often. I really liked this premiere, though, and they've got me coming back next episode to see if they can keep the quality and the laughs up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks