What's new

"Joey" Season 1 Released (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Well...I might be the only person who bought it... ;)

Still, though, that show was better than a lot of people give it credit for. It was under a lot of pressure to perform for NBC (a network that has struggled the past few seasons) and as such was probably doomed to failure before it even aired.

I enjoyed the show.

If you look back at a lot of sitcoms -- "Seinfeld," "Cheers," "Night Court" -- those shows struggled during their first few seasons on the air. There is seemingly less patience today (especially for sitcoms)...

A lot of "changes" that took place on "Joey" (towards the end of Season 1 and beginning of Season 2) were merely done in my mind because of all the pressure the show faced combined with middling ratings.

It is too bad. If you go back and watch the first part of season 1, there was some real promise there. If they'd simply given time for the show to "slowly" evolve and find its groove, it could have developed into a really cute show.

Oh well...I am glad to at least have Season 1 on DVD.

Anyone know if/when they'll release Season 2???

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Is it widescreen (on DVD)? I have not decided what to do yet. So Joey is finally 2 seasons? Which one is better?

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I am hoping to get season 1 before to long myself... I enjoyed the series... but not surprised they canceled it. As you said... the studios do seem t have less patience these days.

I also hope we will get season 2 released!

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
No extras whatsoever...

And the aspect ratio is 4:3 (which is odd)...

I thought Season 1 was better than Season 2, but honestly, I didn't see all of Season 2...and they apparently have a few episodes that they are going to burn off this summer.

I think "sitcoms" had a good 20-year run on TV ("The Cosby Show" brought back the genre in 1984). I think the sitcom is poised to make a comeback in the next couple of years.

If nothing else, I'd recommend the set merely as a "companion piece" to people's "Friends" collections...

Honestly, it really was a pretty good show until the point late in Season 1 where you could tell the network execs were breathing down their necks to "do something" to help the show.

Josh_HI

Second Unit
After what they have pulled with the Friends sets, they are crazy if they they think im going to shell out $30 for this set. I was really angry to see them put all seasons of friends for $16.99...after I paid $30+ for each.

Especially since Joey just got canceled... Maybe if it ever went to $15 bucks I'd buy it but they'd have to release season 2 also.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Interesting about the aspect ratio. I saw all the episodes in widescreen, but to be honest, they never looked right to me that way. Lots of dead space on the sides and numerous continuity goofs outside the 4:3 frame.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I found the first season of Joey to be pretty funny. I'll consider buying it if the price drops (or I have some extra cash lying around). I'm not sure what happened to the show but I stopped enjoying sometime during the second season.

Wezzo

Second Unit
I bought the R2 set when it was on offer over here. The aspect ratio is 16:9 on the R2 set..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks