Joe vs the Volcano - quiet classic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EnricoP, Sep 4, 2001.

1. EnricoP

EnricoP Auditioning

As far as "movie critics" go, it seems that this movie should be forgotten. The low point in the career of Hanks.
    However I offer another possibility.
    Hanks or not, Joe vs the Volcano is a classic. Mind you, not your garden-variety, run of the mill classic (via Godfather or Ben-Hur) but more of what could be referred to as a quiet classic (for example Weekend at Bernies or the Princess Bride). These movies are in general liked by all (or better said, disliked by few) and have the uncanny ability to be seen repeatedly.
    Whatcha think! Oh and I could use a DVD version to boot.
    ... as a side note, this happens to be my first post, so if I ruffle anyone's feathers by posting in the wrong forum or such, please forgive.

2. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

"I have no response to that..." [​IMG]
    Welcome to the forum!!! This was one of those movies that grew on me. Kinda like a twisted precursor to Sleepless in Seattle and all those other Hanks/Ryan films. Still a great film.
    ------------------
    "As long as you are out there, I can never be number one...."
    My DVD List

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Who owns the rights to this movie? Fox?

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Enrico. Speaking as one of those " "movie critics" ", I think Joe Versus the Volcano is a very enjoyable movie. Perhaps not up to the standards of The Princess Bride (which you compare it to), but definitely not a bad film by any stretch.
    I was especially impressed by the "Gilliam-lite" visual sense that Shanley displayed in the first act, and I also liked the gimmick of Ryan playing three separate characters. It's definitely a "weird" flick, so I'm not really surprised that it didn't perform at the B.O. all that well.
    Now that Tom Hanks is the next closest thing to God on this planet, it only seems logical that this one will be revisited on DVD eventually. I'd be the first one in line to see this movie again. It's been about 8 years!
    (It is indeed a WB title.)
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29
    [Edited last by Scott Weinberg on September 04, 2001 at 01:38 PM]

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    This is truly one of the only great Tom Hanks films in my book (the other being Philadelphia. I hated Big, Gump, and thought SPR was overrated. But Joe Vs. The Volcano is a real treat. I'd love to have it on DVD!
    Jeff

6. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

Whew! Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I never thought I'd hear JVTV & classic in the same sentence though.
    It amazes me how, now that Hanks is Hollywood's Golden Boy, everyone forgets some of the truly terrible movies he made:
    Volunteers
    The Man with One Red Shoe
    The Money Pit
    The Burbs
    Dragnet
    Bonfire of the Vanities
    (I'd put JVTV closer to these than his better stuff)

7. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Just adding my voice to thumbs-up "Joe vs. the Volcano". Really liked that film, it was a lot of fun.
    I'd love for there to be a DVD of this as well. For heaven's sake, you can get "C.H.U.D." with director's commentary and we can't have "Joe"? [​IMG]

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    IMO, Joe Versus the Volcano is an occasionally very amusing, wildly uneven film. For those who would say it is a "quiet classic"...

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

10. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Joe versus the Volcano is the greatest movie of all time - you heard it here first! C'Mon Fox - statistically ive only got 52 years left to live - get this out on DVD - Pronto!

11. Luis Cruz

Luis Cruz Stunt Coordinator

I loved this film. It's a great movie and has 2 great actors to boot. Also, this was a warner release so it's up to them to make a dvd. And you would think they would have put this sucker out on dvd already. And what was wrong with 'The Money Pit.' I thought that movie was amusing.

12. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Aren't you boys keeping up on future release news? Joe Versus the Volcano is scheduled for release to dvd this winter, I think January.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

13. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    Craig I was just about to post the Savant link when I saw you beat me to it. I highly recommend Savant's article to anyone one else reading this thread.
    kd

14. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

This topic comes up every so often, and, as usual, all the closet Joe Vs. the Volcano fans come out of the woodwork.
    Count me among those who love this film! It's one of my favorites. Just like Let it Ride which was just released on DVD, my LD copy of JvtV is almost worn out. When people talk about the "magic" between Hanks and Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle as though this movie was some great discovery of the chemistry between them I always point to Joe vs. the Volcano to show that "Sleepless" was not the start of that great combination.
    Scene after scene, line after line, performance after performance - Meg Ryan's triple identity, Dan Hedaya's stone cold "Mr. Watori, the ice cold boss" character, Abe Vigoda as the Chief of the Waponis, all the others with supporting roles in this small gem - such as Robert Stack, Lloyd Bridges, Barry McGovern, Amanda Plummer, Ossie Davis, Carol Kane, Nathan Lane, etc. etc. etc., Steven Spielberg as executive producer, memorable quotes such as:
    I rest my case.
    I'm elated that this not-so-quiet classic will be making its way to DVD!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

15. alan halvorson

Furthermore, what a great use of some classic tunes, the Del Vikings Come and Go With Me and the Inkspots I Cover the Waterfront, for example.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

16. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

alan, could you post the link? I couldnt find any information on the dvd release. Thanks.

17. alan halvorson

Paul: Here you go, from Dvd File's Dave's Studio Day summary: Warner Future Titles .
    ------------------
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on October 16, 2001 at 03:30 AM]

18. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Quiet, I suppose, you could call it due to its miniscule box office impact. But Joe Versus the Volcano is one of the most imaginative, charming, enjoyable movies I've ever seen. I love it so much I watch it on VHS! One of the best examples of cinematic magic realism.
    Can't WAIT for that DVD.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

19. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

20. RAF

RAF Lead Actor