Joe Six-Pack Forum?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MathewM, Feb 19, 2002.

1. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

As I was about to post yet another J6P story I got to thinking. Joe seems at times to be more a subject than Home Theater itself on these boards often showing up in the middle of stimulating discussion. Why not nip this annoyance in the bud and have a separate J6P forum. That way we can vent ourselves and keep the other forums more 'pure'.

Anyway, to vent myself tonight: I was hanging out at one of those new Ultimate Electronic stores the other day in their front projection room. They had The Phantom Menace playing on their $10,000 DLP, 120" wide screen setup. Now being such an attraction, this room gets a lot of attention. People walk in and out of the darkened room often impressed with what they see, wishing they had the money. However, not this one J6P family, I mean straight out of King of the Hill. Here are some quotes: "The screen is too dark", "It's not crisp as..." and my favorite "We got one those down at the sports bar, yep, just like it." I just had to bite my tongue. You had to be there.

2. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

LOL!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Over the weekend my wife and I went shopping for the Hitachi 43" HD RPTV. We were waiting for the salesperson to return with pricing and availability info when another couple entered the room. (The room is used for RPTVs only and currently houses six or seven 16:9 sets and three or four 4:3 sets.)

J6P and his wife looked at several of the sets and the wife mentioned how good the Hitachi and Sony TVs (both 16:9) looked. (BTW, I had adjusted the brightness and contrast on both sets from "Nuclear" to a more reasonable level!) He agreed... until he saw the price. He then turned to me and said "You know, for about half the price of one of these things I can get that 61" TV thats sitting by the door!" The 61" RPTV by the door was a floor model that was not plugged in. It was missing a large front panel that covered the speakers. It also lacked a remote control. No doubt it suffered from a teensy bit of burn in (why else would they NOT have it plugged in???) AND it was listed as "AS IS" for only $1599. He then informed me that he had talked to a salesperson who told him he could have it for $1200 out the door!

While the guy was looking (and bitching) about the other 16:9 sets, his wife was in awe of the HDTV sets. They had the HD feed of the Winter Olympics on and she couldn't get over the clarity. All he was doing was bitching about the price and the weird shape of the TVs! He decided they were going to Best Buy where they had more "regular" TVs! I wished him the best, waited until they were out the door and looked at my wife. She simply rolled her eyes. 'Nuff said!

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

5. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

See below...

6. Bill Balcziak

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Especially (if you haven't noticed) in the explosion of newbies on HTF since the first of the year -- sometimes 2 outa 3 new posts on BASICS.
    We have enough to do trying to guide BRAND NEW a/v newbies, who at least are TRYING to learn here, than waste mental bandwidth on those who are content to stay at the LCD level of things.
    [​IMG]

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've washed my hands clean of Joe, Jane, and their kin. My motto now is, I don't care what Joe/Jane does, as long as they don't try to take my OAR away, and he/she stays on their end of the court, were cool.

9. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Hey did any of you notice the Silver Medal winner in the Aerials ? From the USA: Joe Pack I am not kidding....his name is really Joe Pack, but I do not know if his middle name is Six.
    [​IMG]

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Hey we even have a smiley for talking sense to JSP:
    [​IMG]

11. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

Dave,

Don't go trashing on Sam's Club too quick. I received a Pioneer 53" 16x9 from them a year ago for $2500 when they were selling for $4000 at Best Buy.

12. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The problem lies with their frustrations, John. Many an HTFer has reported attempts at politely educating certain people about "those black bars" and the need for OAR presentations--only to be rebuffed by a chorus of "I don't care"s or "I want to see the whole picture"s.

So they come here to vent. It's doubtful those same J6Ps who so frustrated them in the first place also log on to this site! And you can be assured that none of the frustrated souls posting here are actually calling these people names to their faces.

All this would be of minor concern were it not for the fact that the studios are now seriously listening to the mass-market denizens about what they want on DVD. As a result, the future of OAR widescreen presentations on DVD is starting to seem cloudy. Some ominous rumblings of thunder can be heard in our midst. The "J6P" mentality appears to threaten our own little world.

So, that's the source of the frustration. Let your fellow HTFers vent a little.

14. Bill Balcziak

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Or you could skip reading those threads altogether. ...

16. Bill Balcziak

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Bill,
    If these type of threads bother you then it sounds like Jack gave you some good advice. If they're wasting bandwidth than why waste your valuable time responding to them. Isn't the page down button a wonderful tool?[​IMG] Now, you can call that a snide remark.[​IMG]
    Crawdaddy

18. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

19. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

20. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor