Joe Satriani: Live in San Francisco - Audio Problem???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_B, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I just bought this DVD and was watching it last night. About halfway through I realized that I was listening to the PCM track, so I switched to the 5.1 audio.
    At this point I was disappointed. For one, when I first switched to the 5.1 I was wondering what happened to the drums? I could barely hear them, but the rest of the music came across fine.
    Does anyone know if I have a bad disc, or is it supposed to sound this way? If so, I prefer the PCM track. I just find it hard to believe that this show was taped soley for a DVD presentation and the 5.1 audio sounds this bad.
    Brett B.

2. Nick Zender

Nick Zender Auditioning

Same here,
    I was extremely disappointed.
    Overall sound quality was much less than I expected.
    Everything sounded muffled or something like I had turned on a simulated surround effect.
    No real clarity to the instruments.
    I tried many different settings on the receiver and nothing really helped.
    Nick

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I thought the exact same thing. When I first watched this disc with my girlfriend we started out with the 5.1 track. After a while I switched to the PCM track, prompting my girlfriend to comment on how much better it sounded. The PCM track is much richer and has better balance between the instruments.
    Too bad really. I enjoy the 5.1 option on most live music DVDs since it usually provides that extra spatiality that makes you feel like you are in the crowd. This 5.1 mix on this one was pretty weak.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

4. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

So, is this still worth getting despite the problems with the 5.1 track?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

5. JenaroM

JenaroM Stunt Coordinator

I have this DVD and I haven't noticed this problem. I only listened to the PCM track the first time I put the DVD on, so I'll go again tonight to see if there is a difference. I haven't seen people complain about this on the satriani.com website either.

6. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Adrian,
    I am not sure how big of a Satriani fan you are.
    The show is a 2 disc set including 25 songs (2.5 hour show) and was recorded this year specifically for DVD, so the picture is very good. I picked up the disc at Best Buy for $20. Don't get me wrong, the PCM track is very good.
    Like I mentioned in my first post, the problem that I noticed with the 5.1 track is that the drums are virtually nonexistent (you really have to strain to hear them - they are there, but not even close to the sound levels of the other instruments so the overall sound comes across as muffled).
    If you like Satriani and like his live performances, this DVD is not one to pass up (especially for the price!).
    Brett B.

7. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

8. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

Got your email Brett, I am a bit late to reply though. I have been occupied with the tones from a '92 Hamer Special and '74 Fender Champ. After a year of playing I hope that one day I can play the blues.
    I also prefer the PCM track on the Satriani dvd.
    It seems as if not much effort was put into the 5.1 audio. The sound is slightly diffused and muted as if they tried to simulate 5.1 from the 2 channel track.
    The dynamics take a hit in the 5.1 and is noticed in the impact of the drums. I'd say about a 10% drop-off. The presence of his guitar is also slightly muted.
    I was expecting more from the DD5.1 since the previous Satriani dvd, G3 had reference quality 5.1 audio. Satriani had a great audio crew for G3 dvd and hopefully if or when G3two is released he can muster some top-notch audio engineers.

9. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Thanks to everyone who responded.
    I guess I was hoping that I had a bad disc, because it seemed that the 5.1 track had so much potential (after listening to the PCM track and knowing this concert was filmed specifically for DVD).
    Oh well.
    Thanks again.
    Brett B.

10. scott trigg

scott trigg Extra

was'nt the dream theater dvd coppied from a tape a put on disc? that i what i was told.
    scott

11. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

In case anyone is interested about this.
    I emailed Sony ([email protected]) and asked about this problem on November 7. At the beginning of this week (November 26), I finally got a response (sort of).
    Here was their emial: