Joe Perry talks about surround sound in latest S&V

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kevin C Brown, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

But alas, nothing about Aerosmith releases. (Toys in the Attic is out, but the long rumored Rocks still isn't.) He *did* say that he heard that Sony won't do any more multichannel SACD releases. That would suck.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'd rather have stereo SA-CD's if they'd put some real effort into them. I don't listen to the M/C track of most of my Sony Sack-Dee's because I hate the mixes.

However, I imagine that Sony will raise the prices of any new SA-CD's to reflect the high costs of removing those pesky M/C programs...?[​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

[​IMG]

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Yes, this was very disconcerting to read. I don't listen to the M/C mixes either because I don't like being at the mercy of some engineer if the artist is not available to supervise the mix. I hope this doesn't mean the beginning of the end for SACD.

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Is it in the "15 Minutes With . . ." sidebar? Which month/issue?

Of course they shouldn't have to, but a band as juiced as Aerosmith coupld pay to have Kevin Shirley or whatever engineer they choose do 5.1 remixes for them. Now, if Sony then refused to release them then, Houston we really do have a problem.

-p

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes, the 15 min sidebar. May issue.

I guess I wouldn't be so sad if SACD went away, *if* and only if they'd put out DSOTM on DVD-A.

I cruise the SMR forum, and every day they have new SACDs being released. Just mostly of stuff I don't want to buy.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Bugger. What does this mean for those of us waiting for Pink Floyd's other albums in hi-res 5.1? Isn't The Wall already in the pipeline?

Damn you Sony. First you create (or at least contribute to) a format war, then pull out leaving the consumer in the lurch. Grrrr...

(Yes, I know it's just saying they're pulling out of M/C, but unlike many purists, my main reason for getting either SACD or DVD-A of any particular release is for the M/C mix.)

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yee-Ming- I 100% agree with you. Even if SACD stays a niche product, I'd *still* like to see Wish You Were Here, Animals, etc. And there are Genesis releases coming too.