What's new

Joe Jackson Band--How did I miss these? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I don't know where I was in 2003 when the Joe Jackson Band released Volume 4, but just in case other Joe Jackson fans missed it too...

This is an outstanding album. Not as punk pop as Look Sharp and I'm the Man, but it sure reminds me of those two albums a lot, and it has many strong tracks that would make any fan of those two albums happy.

The disc, which I picked up at a garage sale came with a live bonus disc which led me right to the record store to pick up their new live album, Afterlife. It's an outstanding energetic live recording with some classic Jackson songs and some newer cuts off Volume 4.

Especially cool, to me anyway, is that this album isn't heavily edited and seems to have been recorded as is from the show. The hyper speed version of Got the Time at the end has to be heard, and it's clear throughout that the band was having a great time performing together for the first time in 20 years or so.

If you're a Joe Jackson fan, and you haven't heard these, they're well worth checking out.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Did you catch the concert on Trio a few weeks back?

Great show. Some very interesting conversation with Joe between songs, and they did a moderate reworking of "Is she really going out with him?". I usually hate it when bands mess with their signature tunes, but I have to say that I actually liked it.

Kind of wish Graham Maby would go back to the Ric though....

BGL

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad Trio isn't available on Dish Network.... I love Joe Jackson and my other favorite band from collage, The Boomtown Rats.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

No, I don't have Trio. I saw Joe Jackson in concert a really long time ago, maybe 1991 or so. One of the better concerts I've seen. No flash, no frills...just the music. Exactly how I like it.

I agree with you about the reworking of songs. JJ seems pretty good at keeping with the spirit of the original material though.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
What Ric? I don't think Maby has ever played a Rickenbacker bass.

All Joe's stuff is fantastic and worth buying. If you like his work, buy "Heaven and Hell". It's his masterpiece.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Well, as a former Ric owner/player, I would be willing to bet my shorts that "Look Sharp" and "I'm the Man" are a Ric, but never having seem them live, I will stand down if its otherwise.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Got that on his own web site.

Sure as hell had me fooled. Sounds to me an awful lot like a Ric with Flatwound strings. No matter. Good catch Phil.

PS: Anyone know where I can get some shorts really quick....not really enjoying the cool breeze at the moment:D

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks