Joe Jackson - 25th Anniversary Special DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Meskell, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

I found a copy out early at Best Buys. I didn't really look at the back cover except for the track list and for a DTS symbol. I thought it would be the tour that he is doing with the original Look Sharp band, but it is not [​IMG] . But when I played it I found myself enjoying it just the same. Very nice DTS track and decent WS non 16:9 picture. The songs are...
    Hell of a Town, You Can't Get What You Want ('Til You Know What You Want), Happyland, Stranger Than You, Another World, Is She Really Going Out with Him?, Real Men, Stranger Than Fiction, Glamour & Pain, Target.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Sounds good. Is this recently recorded, or from the day? Seems "Right or Wrong" isn't on it?

Joe Jackson and Dire Straits will do it for me (last Fall someone here said there is a Dire Straits DVD due this year.)[​IMG]

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sounds like this is from the Night & Day II tour which I saw. Amazing band (as usual), I'll have to pick this one up!

4. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

This is, in fact, the video he recorded from the Night and Day II tour two years ago. It was filmed for a possible TV broadcast which I gather never took place. There is a CD of the same concert available from his website, www.joejackson.com, originally titled Two Rainy Nights, but now re-titled to match the DVD. It was originally slated to be released a full year ago, but it got delayed, then delayed, then some more delayed. The tour it represents was incredible; Joe's best live band ever (according to him) playing two absolutely amazing sets. The CD has one more song than the DVD ("Home Town").

The DVD, however, is a huge disappointment. Starting with the name: I guess they changed it to 25th Anniversary Special to tie in with the release of the new Joe Jackson Band album Volume Four, which does indeed correspond with the 25th anniversary of his first album, Look Sharp! There is, however, no connection whatsoever between the new CD and the new DVD, except that they are both loaded with great music. Second: the director cuts away from songs into interview footage, which I DESPISE. For some reason, we don't get to see the entire first verse of "Target," which was the best song of the whole concert. Instead, we hear Joe talking about his love for Latin music, which is very interesting the first time you hear it, then serves only to annoy you every time after. I bought this to see a CONCERT, for pete's sake! There's even an interview segment on the DVD; just put it all together. I realize, of course, that the point may have been to cobble all of the music and interview material together into a one-hour PBS concert, but don't interrupt the music for interviews, PLEASE! Follow Steely Dan's lead from the Two Against Nature disc; you can get it all on and keep it separate.

The big problem with the concert portion is the video; the cameras are all hand-held, most of them are on the stage, and the direction and framing seem almost random most of the time. There's a nice long shot of Sue Hadjopoulos' congas during a particularly awesome fill--too bad her hands and head are off the top of the picture. Lots and lots of close-ups and camcorder-quality video effects, precious few master shots of the whole stage. Lots of oversaturation, not much color.

I saw this tour--twice--and I think I preferred my memories of the show before getting this DVD. Maybe that's the real problem; the director's vision doesn't match my memories of the tone of the concert. But in all honesty, I have a few concert videos of tours I've seen (Peter Gabrial - Secret World Live, Kansas - Device Voice Drum, The Who - Tommy Live, ABWH - An Evening of Yes Music Plus), and every one of them reaffirms my memories of the event. This DVD contradicts and muddies them.

Maybe this is a great DVD on its own merits. Maybe if you haven't seen the tour you'll love it and be immersed in the experience. And I do admit that the onstage camera angles add a hectic energy to the show, like you're part of the band. But I just think this was badly put together from the start.

The music is freaking GREAT, though.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks for the review, Ange. Do you have the "Yes: Union" concert on video? That one is fantastic, just like I remember seeing. [​IMG] Sounds like they have a long way to go before they live up to the amazing "Laughter & Lust Live" LaserDisc.

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

7. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor