Jodie Foster

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Mayer, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I rarely start threads [​IMG] But a nice Jodie Foster interview at www.dvdfile.com deserves to be highlighted in the Movies section [​IMG]
    Jodie
    Who knew compassion, intelligence, and class was so alluring [​IMG]
    Hope you all enjoy,
    Chuck

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks for the link, Michael. You might find Is That a Gun in Your Pocket: A Women’s Experience of Power in Hollywood, by Rachel Abramowitz interesting, or at least its sections on Jodie and her mom.

The writing can be a bit turgid at times, but overall its pretty interesting.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

She was a delight to talk to. I participated in that interview

4. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, which interviewer were you?
    Also, did you try to convert her to the world of Whedon, High Priest? [​IMG]

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Jeff was Interviewer #5, ashamed to speak in such a grand presence [​IMG]
    Besides, if Hollywood hasn't corrupted her, what will [​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck
    P.S. Anything interesting not in the interview, Jeff? My lucky friend...

6. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

First thought after reading the Jodie Foster interview:

I'd be more than happy to go over and show Jodie how to use her DVD player.

7. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yes I thought Jodie was the sexiest lady at the last Oscars. Everyone else looked so unhealthy. Jodie was brimming with vitality.

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

That's a nice feather in your cap, Jeff! Good job!
    I've always had a huge 'thing' for Jodie Foster, and I don't just mean that she's sexy. (She so is.)
    I think Jodie is one of the only beacons of sincerity and "non-sellout-ness" left in Hollywood. How many actresses would turn down a huge paycheck because she simply didn't like the script? No arm-twisting, no trash-talk, she just said No thanks. (C'mon, just imagine how much she could have commanded for Hannibal if she'd wanted to.)
    I know she's acclaimed mainly for her dramatic roles, but I just love her turn in Maverick. [​IMG]

9. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

Hell, I feel in love with her BECAUSE of Maverick.
    She was too sweet in that movie.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, she knows she's hot.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I really like Jodie Foster so this question is not intended to lower the level of this thread (though it will do so [​IMG])...I've just always wondered:
    Is she gay or not? My wife and I can't figure her out. Perhaps she's just intensely private. We've never seen Jodie with a guy and isn't there some bit of mystery about where her child came from?

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Camp, when I asked friends and associates if they had any questions for Jodie to add to my list, that was the first one EVERYONE asked

She loves her children, she loves to act, produce and the movies in general. That's enough for me

12. Timothy Alexander

Maybe she just likes the way her life is now and just doesn't want a guy to come in and disrupt it.

13. Nate Anderson

Gay or Straight...I still wouldn't mind going over and showing Jodie how to use her DVD player.

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    one, two, three, five, seven, eight...
    When I noticed this Jodie Foster thread, I wondered if the topic would come up. Yes, there are so many actors/actresses I didn't clearly see close to women/men often. Boy, am I glad I've seen so many women around Rock Hudson in his time....
    Back to Jodie. I too like her as an actress. She started very young, in several westerns and I have Tom Sawyer, with her in it. Then Taxidriver and so on.
    Maverick is one of my favourites too, both for Jodie's character and for the fine twist that made me fully accept that James Garner (the actor who was the original Maverick in the TV-series) had a quite different role in this one!
    She's careful in her choice of filmparts, and rather dainty, in a smart way.
    I also understand that Miss Foster is a highly intelligent woman, who manages her business affairs quite well.
    Hope she will be in a great movie soon again!
    Cees

15. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Based on the various interviews I've read and her DVD commentaries, Jodie Foster seems incredibly grounded and intelligent. I also think she's very talented. She's definitely one of my "favorites". As to whether she's gay or not... yaaaaaaaaawn. Who cares?

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

17. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I'd imagine that most people (J6P), if asked about Jodie Foster movies, would be able to come up with Silence of the Lambs and probably Taxi Driver, and those are great performances in great movies, but she's done so many "little" films that never get attention. 2 movies that I really like but rarely get mentioned are...
    The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane - I read the book before I saw the movie, and I remember being disappointed at a couple of the changes, but all in all I thought they were very faithful. It took a special actress to portray the highly intelligent young Rynn, who must somehow keep up the appearance that her father is still alive but travels a lot on business (her mother is long dead, and her father dies of an illness. With no other relatives and fearing Rynn's spirit might be crushed in an orphanage, they have time enough before he dies to plan how she'll pay the bills, fool people and get things done). It isn't a great movie, and looks a bit TV-movieish, but Jodie was excellent as Rynn. You really believed that she could handle the household by herself, and instead of saying to yourself, "why doesn't she just tell somebody!" you ache and fear for her when things start spiraling out of her control. Marin Sheen has never been creepier and slimier as a pedophile out to blackmail her.
    Carny - This is her first "grown up" movie, coming just after the much better, but not as interesting (to me) Foxes. Foster plays a confused young woman who joins a carnival and comes between two friends, played by Gary Busey (as a creepy clown) and Robbie Robertson (yes, THAT Robbie Robertson), who does a great job as a midwayman (don't know the term other than, well, carny). The movie is dark and melancholy, and just a bit weird. It's not a horror/spooky movie, but I remember being haunted by it for a long time after seeing it.
    Neither of these films is on DVD. Neither is Foxes. [​IMG]

18. Nate Anderson

God...I remember the movies she made for Disney.

19. Timothy Alexander